Little T/ski trip

rollo

Planning on hiking in on the White river entrance road until we hit snow, and then skiing up the road to the wonderland trail up frying pan creek to Little T, and climbing it if time/conditions permit. Anyone done this or been in the area recently? Good or bad idea? Thanks. grin.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biked in Sunday (per philfort, good suggestion) to the white river entrance where the road turned to snow. Skii'd into frying pan (me on A/T, friend on tele...got my ass handed to me). Skiid up the wonderland trail to the last creek crossing where some bridge excavation was required. But we got lazy and turned around (we just had a day). Little T would be a fun 2 day climb at this time. Didn't see another human, nor sign of one, the entire day.

There wasn't much snow until the white river entrance, but you could tell the road was plowed up to the white river entrance, but not beyond. Not sure if they plow it all year or not. You may be able to call the MRNP rangers to get details.

• 3 weeks later...

Any beta on Little T climb?

Can read stuff in books but am interested in info from folks who have done the climb.

Thinking of White River with camp at Sumerland or above on Fryingpan. Late June. Two days. Anything we should know? wave.gif

5a1a559206870_175958-glamorshot.jpg.06b5323562bceb18a6dd6fc6c1d32e75.jpg

There are campsites at the foot of Frying Pan Glacier on top of Meany Crest at the point marked 7573' on the map. From there you can make a beeline to the gap between Frying Pan and Whitman, and then head up to the top of Whitman. Scramble to the top.

And watch out for rock fall. Having your name on your helmet helps the rangers identify the body. wave.gif

cluck said:

Can read stuff in books but am interested in info from folks who have done the climb.

Thinking of White River with camp at Sumerland or above on Fryingpan. Late June. Two days. Anything we should know? wave.gif

The very top is a terrific choss heap, but the rest is beautiful with great skiing. The view from the top is unreal.

You don't really save much by camping at Summerland. If you take two days, maybe try to camp up higher.

I just put up a very belated TR here:

Little Tahoma TR

-Loren

cluck said:

Cluck,

I've climbed Little T three times: Winter 1983 (from Paradise); July 1990; and late July 2000. Here are a few pics from my last trip.

Camp at Meany crest is superb!

8692000_little_t_a03.jpg

Who said the rock on Little T is shitty??

8692000_little_t_b04.jpg

Little t summit and my brother, mtnguy01:

869web048.jpg

Feel free to ask if you need more info/pics!

Fairweather

Appreciate info from you guys.

Regarding rock fall.... yep, rock rockets aren't much fun. Cascade volcanos can be a high stakes game of dodge ball.

Anybody read about the amputee training for Everest with Jim Wickwire who took a rock to the head last Fall on the DC? He didn't have a helmet on but speculation is it wouldn't have saved him anyway. thumbs_up.gif

basically if there is any accident anywhere in the cascades it will be posted here and subsequently discussed ad nauseum. laugh.gif

ps what is the difference between laugh.gif and smile.gif ? I can tell you what is the same: they both suck! yellaf.gif