Dustin_B

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Marmot has been making down products for 28+ years. Remember the Eiger Sanction? Marmots first big order was making 108 puffy down jackets for the movie. I do work part time for Marmot Mountain Ltd, so I can share what I do know.

Most of our down is sourced from eastern Europe, primarily Poland, from 2-4 yr old geese. Most of the down that comes from asia is from young "immature" geese usually not over 16 months old. The European down provides the high quality fill down.

Marmot does test down out of every 16lb bag of down that we receive from our supplier. This testing is done in-house at Santa Rosa, Ca. - I have seen the down testing room and the test results.

Marmot also sends samples to the International Down and Feather testing laboratory...yes there really is such a place...located in Salt Lake City. The IDFL is an independent testing company. I have their test results on paper as well.

The results from both tests are then matched up to ensure and verify that the down fill power is what it is claimed by the supplier and by Marmot.

Believe it or not...but there isn't a "goose-down Cop" writing tickets to companies because their down fill-power isn't really what they claim. Anyone (ie. company) can claim their down is "XXX" fill power and not be held legally accountable.

Marmot consistently tests to uphold our standards for quality...not someone elses. Every 800 & 900 fill bag from Marmot has a certification tag with a # on it that matches what batch of down the bag was filled from. Marmot also doesn't bash other companies for their claims...but we can certainly verify our fill power from an independent tester and our own in-house tests.

Just thought some of you folks might be interested in our process of bags and fill-power.

I think you should let us know what the name is for your so-called 900 down fill source.

900 fill is theoretically possible, it's just not been available in amounts that would allow a bag to go into production.

Also I am waiting for a response on the Fusion weight issue!

Dear Contentious,

Easy there naysayers... just cuz you haven't seen it or done it- I'll happily provide you with the test results from Marmots AND from the IDFL. Most of our 800 bags are testing at over 900 fill...

I know the sphinx was a myth which could easily explain your attitude...

As for you "so-called Allison"- how do you have a clue as to what down is available or not on the market? I'll be glad to speak further with you if you're a little more respectful and not so aggro....

Dear Contentious,

Easy there naysayers... just cuz you haven't seen it or done it- I'll happily provide you with the test results from Marmots AND from the IDFL. Most of our 800 bags are testing at over 900 fill...

I know the sphinx was a myth which could easily explain your attitude...

As for you "so-called Allison"- how do you have a clue as to what down is available or not on the market? I'll be glad to speak further with you if you're a little more respectful and not so aggro....

yellaf.gif this thread has actually become mildly entertaining thumbs_up.gif

allison said:

So Erik, that said, I guess we should just expect the manufacturers to lie or get wrong the weights AS WELL AS the down fill and other details.

Is that what you are saying?

its called CAVEAT EMPTOR

ALLISON

NO.

I AM SAYING ALL MANUFACTURES PUT THE #'S IN THEIR FAVOR!!!!

MAYBE THE 1ST PROTOTYPE BAG WIEGHED 7OZ LESS THEN THE ONE YOU BOUGHT?

I DUNNO

I PERSONALLY THINK THE WEIGHT ISSUE IT FUNNY.

THEN AGAIN YOU WONT CATCH ME SLOGGING UP HILL FOR DAZE ON END EITHER..

I FIGURE GEAR IS NOT AN EXCUSE, IT ONLY MAKES OUR ADVENTURES MORE PERSONALLY ENJOYABLE.

TA TA wave.gif

Dear Mr. Marmot Person:

I have read several reviews about sleeping bags, and sleeping bag fills, by people who know what they are talking about. Andy Kirkpatrick says that 900 fill down is a myth, and that testing results differ from lab to lab. And it is well know that fill ratings are only accurate to a few percent.

But fill powers aren't my beef. While I don't believe the vast majority of manufacturer claims, as most are false, I don't like the fact the manufacturers can't give decent weights for their producst. While it sounds like a shameless plug, Golite is the only one who gives reasonably accuarate weights.

Get all huffy now. I don't buy Marmot for a variety of reasons. the_finger.gif

citizen_dragon said:

I'll be glad to speak further with you if you're a little more respectful and not so aggro....

Oh, and get off your soapbox. You sound like an idiot.

PS Alison, calm down, get a nice scale and weigh everything yourself. Or buy WM.