• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
scot'teryx

Snowshoes VS Alpine Touring Boots

I am happy to say that I have not worn snowshoes this whole 2003. But i have taken my skis on many trips that weren't worth the ski. Damn, I still have a pair of Kaylands I have not worn for 4 months that are brand new. I guess there is such a thing as "Turns all Year" huh?

are you saying you have been snowshoeing with skis on your back or are you a snowboarder? if you are a skier there is no contest, keep the skis on your feet at all times and save the backache.

I think snowshoes suck pretty much all the time. learn to skin and get with the program and enjoy the freedom

Yes, getting turns all year around here is easy. The thing is come august and september I can find a hellavu lot better things to do with my spare summer days than ski shitty snow littered with rocks and suncups. rolleyes.gif

Agreed. I've had an enjoyable day of skiing on the Fryingpan Glacier in early August, but all of the September trips I've made, and some of the October ones, pretty much were worth it only so I could put a checkmark on the calendar. Watch out for that tick list cause it will cause you to do silly things!!!

cman said:

misread that one. snowshoes still suck though.

Snowshoes suck

Me likes to ski from summits and not slog

Yeah, snowshoes suck, and I ski when I can but there are still things that snowshoes do better.

JoshK said:

Yeah, snowshoes suck, and I ski when I can but there are still things that snowshoes do better.

yes they are better tools for burning calories and testing the breathability of jackets and stuff.

iain said:

JoshK said:

yes they are better tools for burning calories and testing the breathability of jackets and stuff.

LOL. Yes, for the most part. THere have been a few scattered times, however, where I've wanted to go short distances through thick forests or up steeper terrain and haven't wanted to wear my touring boots. Approachs for ice climbs are a good example. If the snow is too deep to posthole, sometimes showshoes have worked better for me.