weekend TRIPS

skyclimb

My fiancee is a TA this quarter, 8 a.m. class, plus she works 30hrs a week, finishing writing her thesis and taking a mountaineering class. The last time I saw her was Wednesday. I think I might see her again in June madgo_ron.gif.

At least we were able to get out climbing together last Sunday that rockband.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jordop said:

Sounds like a Tim Blair plan cantfocus.gif Good luck, something I've been meaning to try. Just hope somebody's cut trail before you pitty.gif You going south to north or the reverse? I always thought a Rubble start would be best confused.gif

We started at diamond head at 10:30pm and then I slept on the bench in front of the heater at elfin for a few hours. Weather got worse, we skiied to Opal cone, then retreated. We probably could have gone as one other VOCer was setting track about an hour ahead of us on a solo day trip across. He left a pair of running shoes at the canadian tire in squamish so he could "run" the 16km back to his truck at Elfin parking lot hahaha.gif .

Skaha rocked

bolt clippin crack jammin hot tubbin fun. lots of friendly faces seen getting back on rock after various winterized pursuits.

Saturday it snowed a couple of flakes

Today was mostly sunny and warm

Fern and me did about 23 person-pitches* all told. * This figure used to sound more impressive than:11 pitches and I did one twice cause I couldn't get it on lead so I TRed it afterwards yellaf.gif

One dishtowel on fire blush.gif

NO TICKS!!!!

Red Wine axo_goulot.gif

Mountain sheep sightings. Flock of ravens. Sundog. Clarks Nutcracker stuffing baby birds full of bugs. Good times.

Today climbed the three pitch route ZigZag, 5.7 on Snag Buttress at Mt. Erie, with wirlwind and dryad. It was wirlwind's first visit to Erie. It was drizzly in the morning but cleared up just as we got on the route. Had some horsecock for lunch HCL.gif. There were no other climbers on Snag Buttress. Watched and listened to the Seattle Mountaineers Basic Course practicing across the way on another crag. They really can shout their rope signals loudly!

Enjoyed a pitcher of Scottish Ale at a brew pub in Anacortes afterwards bigdrink.gifwith a great big plate of nachos with salsa and peppers. Yum. All in all an enjoyable day.

Catbirdseat,

Hope you went to the Brown Lantern...Hale's Cream Ale on tap bigdrink.gif

Next time you do ZigZag, try a couple of routes just by the snag. Right above the snag is a mixed 5.9 with bolts to a crack. To the right of the pedestal there is a bolted 5.8, ends at anchors about 20 feet below a red piece of sling and a 5.12.

Was thinking about heading over to Erie on Tuesday but it looks like the weather is going to poop out mad.gif

catbirdseat said:

Today climbed the three pitch route ZigZag, 5.7 on Snag Buttress at Mt. Erie, with wirlwind and dryad. It was wirlwind's first visit to Erie. It was drizzly in the morning but cleared up just as we got on the route. Had some horsecock for lunch HCL.gif. There were no other climbers on Snag Buttress. Watched and listened to the Seattle Mountaineers Basic Course practicing across the way on another crag. They really can shout their rope signals loudly!

Enjoyed a pitcher of Scottish Ale at a brew pub in Anacortes afterwards bigdrink.gifwith a great big plate of nachos with salsa and peppers. Yum. All in all an enjoyable day.

Yeah, that was one hell of an fun climb. Woo hoo! grin.gif

Edited by dryad

Gym climbing Saturday (VW). Went there by myself and successfully hooked up first with a group of three, then after they left I got it together with a woman that was there by herself. She and I ripped that place up for hours!

Yesterday I climbed Bald Eagle Mountain on the N Fork Skykomish River. Nice ridge hike the whole way, great friends, good times!

Dox

and no, this was NOT my second attempt but my first! Bwa ha ha ha! No more "Double-Try" Doxey!

erik said:

SEA KAYKING TONITE

bigdrink.gif

MTN BIKING TOMMOROW

bigdrink.gif

GOLF SUNDAY

bigdrink.gif

Replace sea kayking with trasks drinking and you got my weekend as well... although I did make it down to the Jr comp. in eugene to get my little bro all the info for getting a team together and signing up before the beaverton comp...

plexus said:

Catbirdseat,

Hope you went to the Brown Lantern...Hale's Cream Ale on tap bigdrink.gif

Nope we went to the Rockfish Grill.

Next time you do ZigZag, try a couple of routes just by the snag. Right above the snag is a mixed 5.9 with bolts to a crack. To the right of the pedestal there is a bolted 5.8, ends at anchors about 20 feet below a red piece of sling and a 5.12.
We saw those routes and though about trying them after topping out on Zigzag, but it got windy and cold and we decided to just go drink beer. We considered finishing on Spring Board, 5.7, instead of the 4th class gully, but the "springboard" was a long dead tree limb that I figured would break and drop me onto a ledge and break my ankles, so as a compromise, I found a short route between the gully and the horizontal tree that was perhaps 5.5-5.6, and could just barely be protected with small nuts.

The bad thing is that my rack was stolen out of our car. About 3/4 of my total pieces were on that rack. madgo_ron.gif See Lost and Found.

Iain,

Perhaps we crossed paths with you up there...when your crew brought out those lost souls off the Nisqually. Lucky guys, they were. Never heard how you found'em in the fog and snow...guess they called with a cell phone, er sumthun.

Had planned to go up to Muir, but knew we were destined for a short trip just to the base of Pan. Just as we were about to turn around, saw several guys coming down the summer route off Pan. Said they had read a lot and knew what they were doing--and where they were going. Guess they never read about the Winter Route up Pan...

Was in striking contrast to your guarded approach, where the conditions you all found with comparable aspects on Pan. Heard the rescue crew observed 6" to 3' crowns.

Reminded me of a 17 year-old that was killed in '78 coming down Pan the same way as those fellows yesterday. Lots of snow...15" new, and with the crowns your crew observed...I suppose it coulda happened on Pan again.

Nice work to all those that were on duty...and standby.