Earl and Navajo Peaks

Trav

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You had better try calling the Cle Elum R.S. The people on this site don't know jack...or jill...or earl...or any navajo's. (The peak you're thinking of is actually spelled Navaho).

The southern access to it from Stafford Creek Road must be over 3,200 ft (the elevation of the Teanaway River-Stafford Creek confluence), so whether or not snow is making the road inaccessible all the way to Stafford Creek as it turns north toward Navaho would be something the R.S. would know for sure.

If you call them (say tomorrow), how 'bout posting what they told you here? It would be nice to know how far the Teanaway River Road is open.

Of course you could try to get to Navaho from the east from Blewett Pass Highway. In which case you know you'll be able to get to about 5 miles of it as the crow flies. Long way from that side (or Ingalls Creek approach).

I was in there a couple of weeks ago via Ingalls and Falls creeks. Pretty straightforward. I wouldn't reconsider unless I could drive a little way up Beverly Creek road. Skied four midweek days, had the place to myself, got some peaks and didn't hear one snowmobile.

FWIW I've never gotten acurate road or trail information from rangers. I try to talk to people from the clubs oround here who have done recent trips to the area I'm going. Trip scedules and contacts are usually published. I also talk to the snowmobilers. They tend to keep current on how far they can drive in. Have fun, It's a great area to ski.

Sverdina and I were going to try the Triple Couloirs this weekend, but three things are cancelling the idea out:

1. Don't want to walk that extra 3 miles--especially if it's just going to be 2 of us breaking trail to and around the lake and up to the base of the climb

2. Avalanche danger not so good for this weekend

3. Weather forecast not certain to be worthy this weekend

Incidentally, I called the ranger station in 11worth today. Lady said the road up Mountaineers Creek will be closed at Bridge Creek for the new bridge construction at midnight on July 14. Might mean that those who wish to climb something in the Colchuck Lake area, etc. should plan for a trip in there before this date. Construction is slated to go on for the whole summer. She said they hoped to have it all done this summer, but it's the government we're talking about, so who knows.