Glacier Wands

cj001f

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alasdair said:

Dont waste your money. They would never stick into snow, and would blow over at the first gust of wind. THey also are not long enough to be usefull.

Hmm. 36" is longer than most wands. Ground is about as hard as snow. Bow over yes - but you can buy PVC wands.

I would never use these. Small, flimsy, and with a metal stake, will melt out more rapidly than bamboo. These things are cheap and will stick in a lawn or soft dirt, but forget about surveyor flags going into anything hard without bending them (ie. gravel soils). Also, I do not know how long your wands are, but the ones I've used are all 3 ft. + . Where did you get 3 ft for the surveyor wands? The website says 21"? confused.gif

Alasdair said:

Dont waste your money. They would never stick into snow, and would blow over at the first gust of wind. THey also are not long enough to be usefull.

I agree. They'd melt out very quickly and fall over. Plus, for some of us colorblind folks, having a black bamboo wand contrasted against the white snow is a godsend. The skinny silver wire would be worthless in that regard.

The best wands to use are those DARK green bamboo stakes you can get at any home/garden store, and then use colored (not silver) duct tape for the flags. Part of really needing to use wands are when you're in a whiteout, its not just seeing the flag that helps but also the wand itself.

The surveyors markers are metal (I think) and dont have a dark color to provide a visable wand, and as for the flags the floro nylon will absorb light not block it.

Plus, if your into picking up your wand they could be unwieldly, and agree that the wind issue and the narrow shaft could make them fall over.

Could be good for trail marking a turn, but not glacier/snow field, IMHO.

TTT

ryland_moore said:

I would never use these. Small, flimsy, and with a metal stake, will melt out more rapidly than bamboo. These things are cheap and will stick in a lawn or soft dirt, but forget about surveyor flags going into anything hard without bending them (ie. gravel soils). Also, I do not know how long your wands are, but the ones I've used are all 3 ft. + . Where did you get 3 ft for the surveyor wands? The website says 21"? confused.gif

Ditto what rm said. Too short, too flimsy.

ryland_moore said:

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=260

The catalog lists them up in lengths up to 36" and weights of 4lbs/100. I would think a dark colored shaft would melt out quicker, but maybe the metal conducts the heat better. As for dark colors you can get the flags in colors from Dark Green to Flouro.

To_The_Top said:

The best wands to use are those DARK green bamboo stakes you can get at any home/garden store, and then use colored (not silver) duct tape for the flags.

Black, Dark Green, Navy Blue they all look the same to me..........but the point is DARK IS GOOD. Bamboo is a poor thermal conductor so I don't think the dark color causes a significantly greater melt out rate than light colored ones.

I use some surveyor's tape and duct tape on my bamboo wands. Do yourself a favor and get the LONG wands (3' plus) instead of the short wands. By the time you come back to look for them, they've inevitably been trying to melt out or have been snowed on, so the extra length is great. Stick em WAY in so they won't fall/blow over on warm days. The long wands leave plenty sticking out in case it snows/blows while you're up.

I'm going to add some reflective tape to some of mine this year for kicks.

I have seen these wands on the Kahiltana glacier before. They were all on their sides and melted about a foot into the glacier. I don't think I have ever seen one standing fully upright, and they are really difficult to find even on a nice day. Bamboo works better, plus they are a good excuse for a wand making beer drinking party. bigdrink.gif

cj001f said:

Anyone ever used surveyors stake flags as Glacier Wands?

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=1111&pf_id=15365&cat_prefix=3WB

They're dirt cheap ($7/100) and easy - and you can get any color you want.

As others said, pin flags--aka surveyor stake flags--don't work well for all the reasons cited. Check out this previous "know-it-all" wink.gifdiscussion.

I'd put my 15-year-old wands up against the NPS (3' dark green bamboo and 2" square of dark red duct tape), or any others for visibility and function. My wands:

- 3' stout dark green bamboo from garden store

- split top 4" with knife

- tie overhand knot through split with 2 colors of 12"+ strips of real surveyor (heavy-duty) flagging, glo-orange plus any other contrasting color

- tape and secure top with 3M Scotch reflective tape for night vis

I store these suckers in my basement away from light so the flagging doesn't fade over time, then pull out the wad for glacier climbs or ski trips, and it does impress the chicks... grin.gif

bigdrink.gif

pindude has it right. I've got basically the same set-up, except I used duct tape for the closure. The reflective tape is a good idea, tho. May have to retrofit.

Storing away from light is better for the ribbon, but then, I have an unlimited supply (free) of that stuff (as long as the Party Chief doesn't notice the supply drain...evils3d.gif).

...sobo