Index Town Wall Accident

priapism

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like a nasty pitch to rope solo with one rope. The lower half is at least 50' and I'd guess the upper half is ca. 20' longer.

Falling from the halfway anchors is an awful scenario, it's a big fall and the landing below Thin Fingers is very broken and nasty.

When you say the rope was found dangling at that level, do you mean it was attached at that level or the ends were at that level?

If the rope was found dangeling, my guess is that he was rapping from the top and went off the ends(only a guess). I thnik a 60 meter rope comes about 20 feet shy of the ground, give or take a few. Still a long way to fall onto boulders. Thats terrible, hope he recovers to climb again! Eric, is this a friend of yours?

Edited by Lambone

Very disturbing story, considering that he sounds like a very experienced climber and how common it is to be rope soloing on the lower town wall. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

I also hope we can hear the full details from an authoritive source. Would like to avoid doing something similar in the future.

Exactly! That's why I joined your forum yesterday. 1)so I could piece together the possibilities to help him remember (if he ever does...trauma has a way of repressing memories to protect oneself). 2) So we can ALL learn from it! I'll be flying up there to see him next week..as soon as midterms are over for me. He's in surgery today for his arm..so far 6 hours in there! It's gonna be a long and windy road back to climbing for him!

Maybe we could open a thread that is "get well wishes" people could submit -- then you could print 'em up to go with the stuff you bring.

Just an idea. Icegirl, if you like the idea and want to do that, go ahead and open the new thread.

- Steve