Shasta ski access

Jim

Have to go near Shasta for work next week on short notice. Is it worth bringing the tele-gear to climb and ski? Never been there and don't know the seasonal access. Any info on recent access would be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

Jim said:

Have to go near Shasta for work next week on short notice. Is it worth bringing the tele-gear to climb and ski? Never been there and don't know the seasonal access. Any info on recent access would be appreciated.

don't forget your tag stickers asshole

If you show up on a weekday they don't really enforce the whole snowpark permit crap. And the road up is plowed to a snowpark, which provides nice skiing this time of year.

Hey Jim,

I would heartily recommend taking your gear with you to Shasta. I've had some of the best backcountry days of my life there. Of course, part of that is probably because I grew up in that area and have spent more days there than anywhere else.

It's pretty easy to get up the old ski highway to bunny flat. Just drive almost any road from the town of shasta towards the mountain and you're bound to stumble on it. Cruise all the way up until the road stops. You can either head up Green Butte, Avalanche Gulch, or skin up the snowed in road to reach the old ski bowl. All can be great skis... Personally, I like to head up Green Butte because it's the most direct way to gain elevation. I take it up until I can drop down into the old bowl and then I ride the road back down to the cars at Bunny. You can probably lap it a couple or three times no problem.

Eric

Sounds worthwhile then even if I only get a day out of the trip. Gotta work this weekend down there but it's all in the national forest so I'll be tromping around outside. The ski bowl sounds like the ticket for a short visit. Thanks. Outta here in a couple of hours. bigdrink.gif

mrefranklin said:

Hey Jim,

I would heartily recommend taking your gear with you to Shasta. I've had some of the best backcountry days of my life there. Of course, part of that is probably because I grew up in that area and have spent more days there than anywhere else.

It's pretty easy to get up the old ski highway to bunny flat. Just drive almost any road from the town of shasta towards the mountain and you're bound to stumble on it. Cruise all the way up until the road stops. You can either head up Green Butte, Avalanche Gulch, or skin up the snowed in road to reach the old ski bowl. All can be great skis... Personally, I like to head up Green Butte because it's the most direct way to gain elevation. I take it up until I can drop down into the old bowl and then I ride the road back down to the cars at Bunny. You can probably lap it a couple or three times no problem.

Eric

Took your advice on Green Butte, hooked up with a couple locals and had some fun yo-yos. Wish I had more time but was working down there. Did manage to find a great gray owl nest this weekend however! Thanks for the advice. Will have to plan a road trip some time to ski from the top.