RobBob

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim said:

If you actually need a rig - you're a contractor, bang nails for a living or such, -then you actually use the rig. It you have the macho-mobile to go pick up you're kids from school then you deserve to be humiliated with a sticker. I tagged ten shiny, never-seen-mud giants at REI this weekend.

Awesome, good work. Normally I dont condone screwing with people's property but I consider them putting me at risk by insisting to drive those huge POSs a bigger crime. Not to mention the destruction they do to the environment we all share.

You know what?

Forget the SUV

Get a Pontiac Asstec moon.gifrolleyes.gif

RobBob said:

Okay, it's time to trade in the old Suburban and get something new. Problem is, I want the best of all worlds:

1) An SUV with enough clearance and oomph to get me up knarly roads, etc.

2) A decent ride at 65 mph on the highway, and room for family of 4.

3) Can't cost as much as the Suburban does!!

Who's done this evaluation recently? I don't want anything small---I'd say the 4runner is as small as I'd want to go.

And there's suggested rules for bagging big game:

If the bumper is the same color as the body put it on the lower left back window. Then can scrape it off without harming the paint. Only chrome bumbers.

Tag only the monsters, Excursions, Expeditions, Yukons, etc.

No commercial or working vehicles

Tag it only once, no repeats.

Jim said:

Big truck, small (fill in the blank)

Big Truck, Small-dicked-sticker-wielding-righteous-tosser in my line of sight that's going to get crushed by aforementioned big truck if he tries to stick any shit on my rig.

Did I guess right?

RobBob,

How about the Chevy Avalanche? It's built on the suburban frame, has plenty of room for the family (5+ seating) and gear, rides great on the highway, has decent clearance and goes for a bit less than a new Suburban (and they are hungry and will deal on them now, even before a rebate of up to $4k). I just moved up from a Subie and have not regretted it one bit, even at the gas pump.

I'm surprised no one had mentioned the Toyota Highlander. My BF has one that I drive a LOT, and despite feeling mighty like a soccer mom when behind the wheel, it's a sweet ride. Handles nice, has good ground clearance, and gets better gas mileage than my old Soob.

It's an even better ride since one of Muffy's kids threw up in it last month! grin.gif

A pre 2003 4-runner sounds like the best bet considering your requirements. Compact, decent mileage, best 4x4 capabilites and clearance of any stock SUV. If they make 4 Runners in the those model years with the TRD package (with the locking differential in the rear), that'd be especially sweet if you are planning on doing some real 4x4ing with it.

I would have bought a 4Runner after looking at the cost, chose a Toyota pickup instead. Same four wheel-drive capabilities, much lower price. I've been very pleased with its abilities in this arena, and have made it through a number of obstacles that shut down Exploders, Expeditions, and the like.

What was Toyota thinking with the new 4-Runner? Seems like superior four-wheel drive capability and clearance were strong selling points for the older models. Hopefully they won't neuter the Tacoma in a similar fashion anytime soon.

Eastsider said:

RobBob,

How about the Chevy Avalanche? It's built on the suburban frame, has plenty of room for the family (5+ seating) and gear, rides great on the highway, has decent clearance and goes for a bit less than a new Suburban (and they are hungry and will deal on them now, even before a rebate of up to $4k). I just moved up from a Subie and have not regretted it one bit, even at the gas pump.

Go out in the driveay and look at it...that's why they are willing to deal, my friend. It's narsty looking.

Luna said:

Despite a couple civil exchanges - whew! does this one smell of testosterone. What is it with guys and trucks?

Careful - it may be contagious. At least one woman that I used to climb with ditched her passenger car for a new Tacoma after seeing what they are capable of. Even sprang for the TRD package. Now she talks about tires and clearance and stuff....

Jim said:

If the bumper is the same color as the body put it on the lower left back window. Then can scrape it off without harming the paint. Only chrome bumbers.

This IS vandalism, Jim; which, I believe, is a crime in this state. I won't feel sorry for some sap who gets his ass kicked if caught. What gives you the right to ignore the law? This is pathetic.

Greg_W said:

Jim said:

This IS vandalism, Jim; which, I believe, is a crime in this state. I won't feel sorry for some sap who gets his ass kicked if caught. What gives you the right to ignore the law? This is pathetic.

I think it's pathetic that every other vehicle in this city is some road hogging, gaz guzzling POS. Now, unfortunately, they are legal unlike stickering somebody's car. If somebody gets there ass kicked doing it, then, yeah, they were asking for it, but I still support those who do it. moon.gif

I think that anyone that believes in this cause enough to deface someone else's property to promote it should be man enough to plaster these stickers on the rigs right in front of the owners.

I'm in favor of energy conservation for a number of reasons, and practice what I preach by riding my bike to work at least 4-days a week, etc, etc - but I still think that skulking around an plastering these things one someone else's car because you don't approve of their choice of vehicles is about as dickless as it gets. How do you know whether they need or not, or in what capacity they use it? Moreover, what gives you the right to tell them what is and is not an acceptable vehicle for them? Vote for politicians that are in favor of imposing higher fuel efficiency requirements if that's what you want, but if the government says a car is legal you've got no business defacing it IMO.

Besides - there are quite a few mini-vans, a number of sedans (Cady's et al) and a whole slew of sports cars that get mileage that's every bit as poor as many of the SUV's out there....

JayB said:

IBesides - there are quite a few mini-vans, a number of sedans (Cady's et al) and a whole slew of sports cars that get mileage that's every bit as poor as many of the SUV's out there....

You'd be hard pressed to find a car that's as big of a danger to other drivers as a suxpidition, slugburban, nadgrator, etc.

From the site:

"Although I have tagged hundreds of SUV's without incident, you do take a risk and should be aware that there are crazy violent people out there and if you cross one who happens to own the SUV you are tagging things could get ugly. I have a report of one person who took up the sport of big game SUV tagging getting into a fight with an enraged SUV owner and getting hurt, so you can be risking a serious confrontation with the owner of a tagged SUV. You have to decide if you want to take this chance. But remember, the founding fathers didn't shy away from a skirmish. "

so there you go...

Eastsider said:

RobBob,

Make sure you get the North Face Edition so people will think you're extreme. rolleyes.gif

Anything that gets less than 15 mpg is an environmental atrocity.