Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

Okay, it's time to trade in the old Suburban and get something new. Problem is, I want the best of all worlds:

1) An SUV with enough clearance and oomph to get me up knarly roads, etc.

2) A decent ride at 65 mph on the highway, and room for family of 4.

3) Can't cost as much as the Suburban does!!

Who's done this evaluation recently? I don't want anything small---I'd say the 4runner is as small as I'd want to go.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RobBob said:

Okay, it's time to trade in the old Suburban and get something new. Problem is, I want the best of all worlds:

Who's done this evaluation recently? I don't want anything small---I'd say the 4runner is as small as I'd want to go.

Just say no to SUVs. Buy Chevy 2500 with extra cab.

RobBob said:

You've defined right here the problem with SUVs. Unless you get one of the car best import models, the ride at 65 on the highway is crap. Now, compared to a suburban, you may consider it good, but I don't consider something that can't do a simple emergency lane change without rolling over a good ride.

The europeans have this amazing comprise vehicle that is called, hmm, lemme think, oh yeah...a station wagon. But then again wagon's aren't cool and SUVs are. tongue.gif Anyway, my rambling point...have you checked out a wagon or some of the newer car/truck cross vehicles?

josh makes a good point. that's what i'm looking to pick up next...a wagon. having had an SUV for the past 3 years, i can definitely appreicate the power, ground clearance, and just the general utility of an SUV but when i think about the amount of times that i've truly needed that ground clearance or truly needed all that space (a single dude), it just doesn't make a whole lotta sense for me to have an SUV.

Then again, the suby outback is the "i'm trying ever so hard not to be a yuppie" yuppie mobile. shit i guess there's no winning here.

VW makes a nice 4x4 jetta & passat wagon. just a thought.

RobBob said:

Have considered outback or forester, but I've grown accustomed to the room of lger vehicles!

I Owned an outback for a while...great vehicle. Well, I figured I'd try. I'm an SUV hater so I at least have too put in my mandatory plug for a vehicle that is safer on the road, burns less gas, polutes less, and endangers others less. Geek_em8.gif

In all seriousness though, for my friends who do insist on going the SUV route, I've been most impressed with my friends' 4runner for an all around vehicle. It isn't large enough to be ridiculous, and at the same time it's big enough for most people. Less weight and shorter wheel base also means better off-road and snow capabilities than the typical amurican full size SUV. Unfortunately the new model 4runner looks like garbage.

JGowans said:

Then again, the suby outback is the "i'm trying ever so hard not to be a yuppie" yuppie mobile. shit i guess there's no winning here.

DO what I did...buy a used one, with some pre-installed dents, add some climbing stickers and never wash it. a crack in the windshield also adds character smile.gif

I'd only buy a used 4 Runner...look for one that was a lease and still has the warrenty. Price will be right. The only other company I trust is Nissan, but stay away from the Xterra...lots of $$$ for a stripped down version so that it looks like a hardman's SUV.

Personally I like trucks therefore, I'd go for a 4 door Tacoma or Nissan.

RobBob said:

The desire for clearance limits your options. Range Rover, or its cheap cousin the Land Rover, would work great.

Exploder.

Not as big as Expedition or Excursion (or competitor's makes), uses less gas, rides pretty nice at 65 mph, reasonable ground clearance, good visibility over the hood, low maintenance costs, (both of mine have been, at least), room for four, safe.

I'm on my second 2-door (Explorer Sport), but am looking now at a 4-door, what with the recent family addition. You didn't say how small the 2 backseat riders are, RobBob. If they're still in car seats, don't go with the Sport (my back is killing me!!).

...sobo