Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

Okay all you goobers,

I have something to say. There have been all these assertions and slams on people who own SUVs. I think it's just fine that people voice their strong objection to SUVs if they want to. (I don't get why it's okay to own a pickup truck but not an SUV...but whatever.)

I DO however object to people putting stickers on other peoples' possessions and thinking that's okay. I am one of several here that probably could and would deliver a good asskicking if I caught someone doing that shit to my vehicle.

I also object to people implying that they know what I or others do for a living, or how much we go off-road, etc., and turning that into some kind of insult.

Jim is guilty on both counts. He can have whatever opinion he wants---just don't touch my vehicle. He can also do whatever he wants for a living, and it's fine with me. I'm not hurling insults at him, yet he counts frogs for a living, and implies that I have some kind of milqtoast job. I got my SUV Friday night. I have already used the 4WD for work once. You don't know me Jim.

I usually like most everybody, regardless of their politics and opinions, and I enjoy hearty debate. Jim however is a misanthrope wanker. thumbs_down.gif

I just loaded a 40' ocean container, box by 50-lb box, w/ 3 other guys...going home to shower. Then maybe enjoy driving my new SUV. cool.gif

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joshk- how many mpg does your audi get? I'll bet it's not significantly different than that of my 4runner. I think your "gas tax" argument is stupid, as are most of your arguments on this thread. I'm wearing black shoes today- most days I wear black shoes to work. When I see these people wearing brown shoes to work, it just disgusts me! Don't these brown shoe wearers realize they look like stupid posers? I wear black shoes. Wearing black shoes is the only way to dress. My way is the only possible way in the world to live..... cry.gif..anybody who lives or thinks differently then me is stupid STUPID cry.gif STUPID cry.gif STUPID

My only gripe is that SUVs have gotten soooooooo expensive! Way back in '95 a 4-runner was about 28K but we picked up our Jeep for 18K. Today you can buy an Outback for 17K. Seems the obvious choice to me! SUVs have turned into luxury vehicles.

Charlie, I get about 25 or so on the highway, which is where I drive it. I take the bus to work, and use the audi for my trips on weekends. I would be MORE than happy to pay a big fat tax as well. I don't expect to get out of anything that others have to pay. I look forward to being able to upgrade to a reasonably sized vehicle burning biodesiel or using a fuel cell. Unfortunatley the motivation is very little for the auto makers in today's market.

ChrisT said:

My only gripe is that SUVs have gotten soooooooo expensive! Way back in '95 a 4-runner was about 28K but we picked up our Jeep for 18K. Today you can buy an Outback for 17K. Seems the obvious choice to me! SUVs have turned into luxury vehicles.

hmm..I bought mine for 29K in 2002. $1000 in 7 years!!!??? That's outragious!!!!! hahaha.gif

Charlie said:

ChrisT said:

hmm..I bought mine for 29K in 2002. $1000 in 7 years!!!??? That's outragious!!!!! hahaha.gif

Still...it's mucho dinero, hombre!

JoshK said:

. . I look forward to being able to upgrade to a reasonably sized vehicle burning biodesiel or using a fuel cell. . .

Huh? Any diesel engine will burn biodiesel and I just learned over the weekend that its readily available here in Portland. Hell, I can have a 55 gallon drum delivered right to my house! I'm looking into fueling our Passat that way. So why is it you can't upgrade?

it's pretty sweet! super cheap and plentiful fuel, and for a damn good cause I might add. There are other kits out there for Dodge Rams and stuff, and then there are home-brew setups as well. I would buy a diesel just for this reason.

rbw1966 said:

JoshK said:

. . I look forward to being able to upgrade to a reasonably sized vehicle burning biodesiel or using a fuel cell. . .

Huh? Any diesel engine will burn biodiesel and I just learned over the weekend that its readily available here in Portland. Hell, I can have a 55 gallon drum delivered right to my house! I'm looking into fueling our Passat that way. So why is it you can't upgrade?

Yup! There is a place in seattle that sells it now too. The point was a vehicle I want. word has in that the 'o4 passat will be availble with the new PD diesel engines and AWD! grin.gif

JoshK said:

rbw1966 said:

JoshK said:

Yup! There is a place in seattle that sells it now too. The point was a vehicle I want. word has in that the 'o4 passat will be availble with the new PD diesel engines and AWD! grin.gif

Thats what I am holding out for--a passat diesel wagon. Or the hydrogen SUV. Then you and your SUV-hating attitude can engage in self-abuse. the_finger.gif

Iain--its my understanding that the VW's don't require any retrofitting whatsoever.

But, rob, in reality, it will actually be *easier* for us SUV haters. The yuppies that drive the things for the image won't be caught dead in a hydrogen or diesel vehicle. Thing escalade...they want the bling bling rims and the big ass amurikan V8! hahaha.gif

"If SUVs were taxed more according to their above normal usage of fuel, road wear and danger to other vechiles,"

They are already taxed more on fuel, because they burn more. This necessarily plays into road maintainance, since road budgets partially drive fuel taxes (they should totally drive them). Insurance costs more also. I know because when I bought my 4Runner, the costs of insuring it instead of a Saturn jumped. The costs are already higher.

"thus making the cost of ownership more in line with the cost to society as a whole, would SUV owners object?"

"but it would hopefully discourage joe and jan suburbia from community around in a tank."

If joe and jan wish to "community around" in an SUV, that's up to them.

Albina fuels in Portland is one of the big biodiesel distributors for you folks with diesels. For you yahoos who don't want to have anything to do with liberal greenies, just think that it is fighting terrorism by avoiding mideast oil yellaf.gif

"I'd love to see a $1 a gallon gas tax to *really* get people in alternative energy vehicles. "

Then later "I would be MORE than happy to pay a big fat tax as well."

You can start right now without waiting for anybody but you to take action. Send in that extra buck a gallon on your own.

Since you're in favor of it, and realize you'll be paying it too, there's no reason you can't begin right away, along with everyone else who agrees. After all, it will change your driving habits too and there's no reason not to begin right away since you think it needs to be done.

Edited by MtnGoat

MtnGoat said:

"I'd love to see a $1 a gallon gas tax to *really* get people in alternative energy vehicles. "

You can start right now without waiting for anybody but you to take action. Send in that extra buck a gallon on your own. Since you're in favor of it, and realize you'll be paying it too, there's no reason you can't begin right away, along with everyone else who agrees.

MtnGoat, this tired old argument is going to get nowhere. How many times do I have to point out we don't have a charity based government? You may not want to admit it, but the government is there to collect taxes from *everybody*. I suppose I shouldn't be paying taxes for education either, huh, since i don't have children in school? How far do you want to drag this tired argument of yours? Let me guess, you are going to reply by quoting me sentence for sentence and responding to each point in turn. yellowsleep.gif

"How many times do I have to point out we don't have a charity based government?"

How many times do I need to point out that this doesn't matter, that your support for you paying more doesn't have anything to do with wether it's charity based or not! You wish to pay more, do so.

"You may not want to admit it, but the government is there to collect taxes from *everybody*."

Sure it is. But that everybody includes, you, and since you think $1 more a gallon is a good idea, why not begin now? Imagine how cool you'll be leading the charge instead of waiting for someone else to take action.