Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

JGowans said:

You know, I have been contemplating buying a smaller car for many of the reasons that most of you anti-SUV folk cite for quite a while (better mileage, more environmentally responsible, etc...). However, with all of the smarmy finger pointing, head shaking, and acts of vandalism, I am seriously tempted to go out and buy a Ford Excursion just so I can avoid being in the same camp as you. It's almost the same as when one's mother tells one not to do something and one sees that as a catalyst to do that very thing.

I'll tag it... many times

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JGowans said:

You know, I have been contemplating buying a smaller car for many of the reasons that most of you anti-SUV folk cite for quite a while (better mileage, more environmentally responsible, etc...). However, with all of the smarmy finger pointing, head shaking, and acts of vandalism, I am seriously tempted to go out and buy a Ford Excursion just so I can avoid being in the same camp as you. It's almost the same as when one's mother tells one not to do something and one sees that as a catalyst to do that very thing.

so now you're blaming others for your inaction?

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

Actually, I'm only telling you to fuck off. I am not forcing you to do anything because coersion is illegal. You are free to drive whatever you want as am I. Respect my right as a rich bastard with too much time and money on his hands. wazzup.gif

If you ever rear-end me, I'll sue you for all your worth and get you thrown in jail for life for attempted murder. Then you'll find out all about rear-ending...

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

MtnGoat said:

"And, no, this wasn't somebody using his suburban for hauling shit around. It was a single guy (in his 8 person car) wearing a suit."

So again, you know who they are and what they use their rig for based on what they're driving and what they're wearing when they do so? How did you come to the conclusion of what they do or don't do when they're not wearing the suit?

Commuting across 520 solo in a suburban is stupid. period. end of story.

iain said:

why people have become conditioned to hate SUV drivers? as a bike commuter my answer would be I'm more likely to have a bad experience with them (they don't see me, they do see me but cut me off, they are on the phone so don't signal on turns, etc) based on day-to-day experience. Don't ask me why this is linked to the suv, but I can almost guarantee it is more likely to happen if the driver is in an suv. I believe the drive of the many suv purchases is the same force that promotes this crap behavior. I feel safe so I can tune out stuff. So yeah it's my business what you drive. You could kill me.

I too commute on a bike when I can. I can say that I've seen the exact same thing. You're a lot more visible on a bike to a car than an SUV who's hood is above your head. I'm not saying that you'll be less dead if a Metro hits you than an Excursion, but the metro will be more likely to see you and *not* hit you in the first place.

JGowans said:

It's almost the same as when one's mother tells one not to do something and one sees that as a catalyst to do that very thing.

So you rationalize decisions based on what a 5 year old would do? I for one thought it was cool you were willing to consider alternatives. There's no finger-pointing on my part, I just want to stay alive on the ride home, etc, etc, etc.

iain said:

MtnGoat said:

"And, no, this wasn't somebody using his suburban for hauling shit around. It was a single guy (in his 8 person car) wearing a suit."

So again, you know who they are and what they use their rig for based on what they're driving and what they're wearing when they do so? How did you come to the conclusion of what they do or don't do when they're not wearing the suit?

Silence goat! You're acting like the Iraqi Information Minister on this one...

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

Actually, I'm only telling you to fuck off. I am not forcing you to do anything because coersion is illegal. You are free to drive whatever you want as am I. Respect my right as a rich bastard with too much time and money on his hands. wazzup.gif

If you ever rear-end me, I'll sue you for all your worth and get you thrown in jail for life for attempted murder. Then you'll find out all about rear-ending...

Aha, now we are seeing your true vindictive side come out. Btw, you'll be incapable of sueing me because in your previous hypothetical scenario, my rear-ending you resulted in you dying.

Also, it seems that you only possess hatred for those that commute to work in their SUV. Does the fact that I walk to work make me a better citizen than you and also justify my SUV ownership? Either way, I really couldn't care less, because as I stated previously, it's a personal choice and it's none of your business.

If everybody who used their SUVs simply for commuting and going to get groceries moved into cars, the number of SUVs on the roads would drop about 98%. I think all of us SUV haters would be damn happy about that and wouldn't give a shit about the remaining 2% that actually get used by their owners.

JGowans said:

as I stated previously, it's a personal choice and it's none of your business.

And as I've stated (and shown evidence of) it is my business, and everyone else who has a penis larger than 2" and doesn't drive an environment wrecking, "fuck everyone else around me", yuppie death-mobile.

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

And as I've stated (and shown evidence of) it is my business, and everyone else who has a penis larger than 2" and doesn't drive an environment wrecking, "fuck everyone else around me", yuppie death-mobile.

Ok, and as I've stated previously, your vindictive and surly attitude as well as repeated references to 2" phalluses really does suggest that you're sexually frustrated. The SUV is merely a symbol of the source of your frustration, and I suggest that you dress up real nice one night, go to a nightclub, and find yourself a real man where you can both retire to the back of his Suburban and have at it like the frenzied wild piglet you want to be.

the_finger.gif

"Commuting across 520 solo in a suburban is stupid. period. end of story."

So people should buy two cars if they want to both work and do stuff they may want a 4x4 for?

How do you know they were commuting? Now you can not only tell who they are and what they do or don't do because of what they drive and what they wear, you can tell what they were doing and where they were going? This just gets better and better.

MtnGoat said:

So people should buy two cars if they want to both work and do stuff they may want a 4x4 for?

How do you know they were commuting? Now you can not only tell who they are and what they do or don't do because of what they drive and what they wear, you can tell what they were doing and where they were going? This just gets better and better.

Yeah, he was going to haul a bunch of crap up to his cabin in his suit. wazzup.gif I'm going on numbers, the chance is pretty fucking high that he was a wanker who just uses his suburban for community. I'll assume this until proven wrong. Free country, right? hahaha.gif

"Silence goat! You're acting like the Iraqi Information Minister on this one... "

Interesting. We have people who can know people they don't know, know what they do with the cars when they don't know them, and know where they're going too.

JoshK said:

MtnGoat said:

Yeah, he was going to haul a bunch of crap up to his cabin in his suit. wazzup.gif I'm going on numbers, the chance is pretty fucking high that he was a wanker who just uses his suburban for community. I'll assume this until proven wrong. Free country, right? hahaha.gif

Given the numbers, I generally assume the same thing. Who wears a suit to do something where an SUK would be *required*? (well, in all reality, I go caving a full suit, but then again, that's just me, and I think that 99.99% of the people out there would do such a thing.) The point being HE WASN'T USING A SUBURBAN FOR WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR. I can say that with relative confidence. Why can I say that? Give me one reasonable *and likely* explanation for driving by yourself in a suburban on the 520 bridge in rush hour wearing a suit.

Ursa_Eagle said:Give me one reasonable *and likely* explanation for driving by yourself in a suburban on the 520 bridge in rush hour wearing a suit.

He was a climber that normally used his Suburban for climbing, but on this particular day, he dressed in a suit, and set off for Portland with the intention of wooing the feisty Ursa_Eagle into the back of his rig for a bit of nooky since it became quite clear earlier that week while posting on cascadeclimbers.com in the "Which 4WD SUV" thread, she hadn't been laid in quite a while and resented all things masculine. Our besuited, SUV-driving stud was about to change all that.

Plausible enough?

smileysex5.gif

MtnGoat said:

"Silence goat! You're acting like the Iraqi Information Minister on this one... "

Interesting. We have people who can know people they don't know, know what they do with the cars when they don't know them, and know where they're going too.

I see so perhaps there are days when the freeways are backed up in Seattle where no one in an suv in that traffic jam is actually commuting? You have once again entered the MtnGoat zone where nothing is as it seems and the "is the chair really there?" arguements come out. As usual you will have the last stupid word in these pointless debates that usually degrade to crap about syntax or references, but I'm through rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

JGowans said:

He was a climber that normally used his Suburban for climbing, but on this particular day, he dressed in a suit, and set off for Portland with the intention of wooing the feisty Ursa_Eagle into the back of his rig for a bit nooky since it became quite clear earlier that week while posting on cascadeclimbers.com in the "Which 4WD SUV" thread, she hadn't been laid in quite a while and resented all things masculine. Our besuited, SUV-driving stud was about to change all that.

Plausible enough?

smileysex5.gif

I rest my case.

Also, it's kinda hard for a guy to be a man-hating dyke. Go back to pleasuring your 2 incher in your SUK.

"The point being HE WASN'T USING A SUBURBAN FOR WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR. I can say that with relative confidence. "

And yet you will be wrong. The suburban is designed to be used on roads *and* off roads. A vehicle usable only in 3' of mud has no use for most people, so they make it usable in more than that situation, and then people buy it and use it in more than that situation.

I cannot afford to own two vehicles. I chose one that would allow me to do everything I want to do, even though most of the time I'm not using all it's capabilties. This is merely what happens when one wants to do all kinds of stuff but cannot buy a vehicle for each use.

"Give me one reasonable *and likely* explanation for driving by yourself in a suburban on the 520 bridge in rush hour wearing a suit."

I don't need to. I am not the one claiming I know what a person I don't know is doing driving a vehicle I don't know why they have or what they do when they're not crossing a bridge for a reason unknown to me. I am not the one making all kinds of judgement calls on an individual I do not know and trying to justify my presuppositions about their life, car, and destination.

You don't even know wether this person was coming from, or going to a destination. They could be going to work, they could be going to court, they could be someone who works a job as a rep.

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

He was a climber that normally used his Suburban for climbing, but on this particular day, he dressed in a suit, and set off for Portland with the intention of wooing the feisty Ursa_Eagle into the back of his rig for a bit nooky since it became quite clear earlier that week while posting on cascadeclimbers.com in the "Which 4WD SUV" thread, she hadn't been laid in quite a while and resented all things masculine. Our besuited, SUV-driving stud was about to change all that.

Plausible enough?

smileysex5.gif

I rest my case.

Also, it's kinda hard for a guy to be a man-hating dyke. Go back to pleasuring your 2 incher in your SUK.

You see! You're so gay, I actually fell for it and thought you were a bitter chick! It's all so clear now...you're the dude who hates himself for being gay and being rejected by all the studly he-men. Get an SUV and make yourself feel better!

HCL.gif

"I see so perhaps there are days when the freeways are backed up in Seattle where no one in an suv in that traffic jam is actually commuting?"

I am sure people are. But since you cannot know which is who, the infantile notion of picking out one innocent and deciding you know who they are and what they do and wether they "need" their rig is a joke.

Even further when you can't know what else they do with their rigs, beyond the seemingly innate need to decide no one "needs" them because some self satisfied econuts said so.

So now people need to buy two vehicles to satisfy folks like you they're going about their lives in the most efficient manner you deign they should live? Feel free to look out at lots of people you don't know and decide they're all not meeting your standards for what you'd drive in your estimation of their lives, it's par for the course.

For all you SUV-haters. You're right and I'm wrong. I hate my SUV and feel silly for admitting I own one. I am in the process of trading it in for a nice new compact car. The dealership owes me the car & cash but no biggie.

I apologize for my comments and posts. Please don't sue me since I'm a foreign bastard with no rights in this country.

Thank you for your insightful wisdom which has led me to this decision with quiet optimism for a new world of hybrid vehicles and good old fashioned leg power.

Here's to you my righteous comrades! bigdrink.gif

JGowans said:

You see! You're so gay, I actually fell for it and thought you were a bitter chick! It's all so clear now...you're the dude who hates himself for being gay and being rejected by all the studly he-men. Get an SUV and make yourself feel better!

You know, I'm not the one making the gay jokes. I'm just saying that you drive an SUK, therefore your penis is small. It's a known fact. I think the one who makes all the gay jokes is the one who's insecure with his own sexuality. I have friends who are gay, and I have no problem with them so long as they don't hit on me. Gay bashing shows how little you really are (and I'm not talking about certain body parts.) We were having a nice discussion about SUKs, and you had to bring gays into this. You are not worth my time anymore, and your opinions have now all been debunked. Grow up.

it is interesting to me that the same people that seem to be anti war (because we shouldn't tell others how to live) think that it is perfectly okay to tell another man what kind of car he should drive. So what is it??/ should one group of people get to tell others how to live or not?

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

You know, I'm not the one making the gay jokes. I'm just saying that you drive an SUK, therefore your penis is small. It's a known fact. I think the one who makes all the gay jokes is the one who's insecure with his own sexuality. I have friends who are gay, and I have no problem with them so long as they don't hit on me. Gay bashing shows how little you really are (and I'm not talking about certain body parts.) We were having a nice discussion about SUKs, and you had to bring gays into this. You are not worth my time anymore, and your opinions have now all been debunked. Grow up.

Grow up? We were having an intelligent conversation until you started babbling on about your 2" penis. Nobody cares about your penis. Also, you'll notice that at no point did I harsh on gays. I merely stated that I came to the realization that you're gay. That's all.