Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"but the hoards of mindless yukon, expedition, etc. drivers) you want, but it's my right to show you no respect and insult you."

When you decide you know someone because of what they're driving, when you don't know them personally or the slightest thing about what they do with it, it's pretty obvious who's mindless.

MtnGoat said:

"but the hoards of mindless yukon, expedition, etc. drivers) you want, but it's my right to show you no respect and insult you."

When you decide you know someone because of what they're driving, when you don't know them personally or the slightest thing about what they do with it, it's pretty obvious who's mindless.

I'm not judging them, I'm making fun of their cars, and I'll continue to do so. Just as they'll continue to bloat the roads and endanger the rest of us.

minx said:

JGowans said:

I don't normally agree with you MtnGoat (pertaining to war matters) but I absolutely agree with you here. It's the judgmental nature of many posters that vexes me, and of course illegal acts.

saint jgowans?

You got it Minx! evils3d.gif

JGowans said:

The only argument I need is that it's none of your business. Period. I don't need to be right or wrong. It's just simply none of your business.

It becomes my business when I get killed because you rear-ended me and your bumper completely misses mine. SUKs are a hazard not only to themselves (rollovers, bad emergency handling, etc.), but also to every other smaller car on the road. By buying an SUK, you're telling everyone else to fuck off because you're forcing everyone else to get larger cars in order to be "safe". It *IS* our business.

minx said:

too bad i think the pope's a joke

and that you're indignance is most likely about the most hypocritical thing that i'll encounter today rolleyes.gif

wave.gif

Can you cite anywhere where I advocate illegal acts? If not, I'd ask that you reconsider your assertion that I'm a hypocrite for condemning people breaking the law.

JoshK said:

When I see a passing pukon, ghettoslade, etc. I just express my view my pointing laughing and then flicking them off.

thumbs_up.gif

You sure seem like a tough guy flipping off soccer moms with a back seat full of kids. rolleyes.gif Flip off my wife someday and you'll either find out how tough you really are or how tough your car really is. pitty.gif

Bronco said:

JoshK said:

When I see a passing pukon, ghettoslade, etc. I just express my view my pointing laughing and then flicking them off.

thumbs_up.gif

You sure seem like a tough guy flipping off soccer moms with a back seat full of kids. rolleyes.gif Flip off my wife someday and you'll either find out how tough you really are or how tough your car really is. pitty.gif

Yeah, and one of two things will happen. I'll beat your ass or you'll end up going to jail for assulting me. Your point being? rolleyes.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

The only argument I need is that it's none of your business. Period. I don't need to be right or wrong. It's just simply none of your business.

It becomes my business when I get killed because you rear-ended me and your bumper completely misses mine. SUKs are a hazard not only to themselves (rollovers, bad emergency handling, etc.), but also to every other smaller car on the road. By buying an SUK, you're telling everyone else to fuck off because you're forcing everyone else to get larger cars in order to be "safe". It *IS* our business.

My favorite personal SUV story...I'm driving home one sunny and warm friday across the shithole known as the 520 bridge. I had left early to avoid what was sure to be the awful traffic. I come up upon traffic and of course everybody in front starts slamming on their brakes. I get on mine too and not wanting to make the problem worse use as little hard breaking as possible to slow down and leave a reasonable amount of space between me and the car in front of me. This happens to be about one car length.

Well, lucky for me I happen to look into the rear view (never trust the guy behind you) and what do I see but a suburban barreling down on me. It quikcly becomes evident that this guy isn't going to stop in time. THis fact is made more evident when he goes into 4 wheel ABS "lock up" with bursts of screeching and tire smoke pouring out. A quick mirror check confirms the carpool lane (in reality, what should be the shoulder) is free and I gun it and veer around the car in front of me. The car in front of me sees the whole seen at this point and moves forward as much as he can (probably around another car lenght) and the suburban braces for crappy american engineering impact. The 3 tons of garbage finally comes to a stop about 6 inches from the rear bumper of the guy in front of me. Needless to say I would have been pancaked had I not gotten out of the way.

And before anybody claims this was the driver's fault (it still is) and not the car, let me point out that your average midsize car probably gets from 60-to-0 in around 130 or 140 feet. Make that 120 for a light car, and maybe 110 for sports cars with high end breaks. Your average suburban of that vintage (late 90s) takes something like 180 feet. You do the math. thumbs_down.gif And, no, this wasn't somebody using his suburban for hauling shit around. It was a single guy (in his 8 person car) wearing a suit.

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

Actually, I'm only telling you to fuck off. I am not forcing you to do anything because coersion is illegal. You are free to drive whatever you want as am I. Respect my right as a rich bastard with too much time and money on his hands. wazzup.gif

Bronco said:

lighten up a little, it was supposed to be sarcastic with two of these guys rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

If you flipped her off she'd probably just flip you off back and you guys could go your merry way.

LOL. Sorry, bronco, you're right, a lighter moment is needed. Fighting shouldn't be a forte anybody is particularly proud of, I just assumed you were taking the tough-guy-over-internet role that most do. As for your wife trying to beat my ass, I won't lie, I'd hop back in the car and run. smile.gif I'm not going to fight with a lady and even if I did think that was ok I'm not sure I'd *want* to mess with any lady ready to start a fight. wink.gif

"And, no, this wasn't somebody using his suburban for hauling shit around. It was a single guy (in his 8 person car) wearing a suit."

So again, you know who they are and what they use their rig for based on what they're driving and what they're wearing when they do so? How did you come to the conclusion of what they do or don't do when they're not wearing the suit?

JGowans said:

Actually, I'm only telling you to fuck off. I am not forcing you to do anything because coersion is illegal. You are free to drive whatever you want as am I. Respect my right as a rich bastard with too much time and money on his hands. wazzup.gif

If you ever rear-end me, I'll sue you for all your worth and get you thrown in jail for life for attempted murder. Then you'll find out all about rear-ending...

why people have become conditioned to hate SUV drivers? as a bike commuter my answer would be I'm more likely to have a bad experience with them (they don't see me, they do see me but cut me off, they are on the phone so don't signal on turns, etc) based on day-to-day experience. Don't ask me why this is linked to the suv, but I can almost guarantee it is more likely to happen if the driver is in an suv. I believe the drive of the many suv purchases is the same force that promotes this crap behavior. I feel safe so I can tune out stuff. So yeah it's my business what you drive. You could kill me.

"By buying an SUK, you're telling everyone else to fuck off because you're forcing everyone else to get larger cars in order to be "safe". "

What your judgement of danger is or isn't, doesn't constitute force on anyone elses part.

You know, I have been contemplating buying a smaller car for many of the reasons that most of you anti-SUV folk cite for quite a while (better mileage, more environmentally responsible, etc...). However, with all of the smarmy finger pointing, head shaking, and acts of vandalism, I am seriously tempted to go out and buy a Ford Excursion just so I can avoid being in the same camp as you. It's almost the same as when one's mother tells one not to do something and one sees that as a catalyst to do that very thing.

MtnGoat said:

"And, no, this wasn't somebody using his suburban for hauling shit around. It was a single guy (in his 8 person car) wearing a suit."

So again, you know who they are and what they use their rig for based on what they're driving and what they're wearing when they do so? How did you come to the conclusion of what they do or don't do when they're not wearing the suit?

No one should use a suburban for commuting. If they have all this money that they can spend on a suburban (which seems to be what a lot of you SUK enthusiasts on this thread seem to be saying... you have money so you can spend it), they should get a smaller car for commuting. One of my friends has a suburban. It works great for getting a lot of people and gear up to the mountains. He has a Honda Accord that he commutes in. That's a good combo.

MtnGoat said:

Silence goat! You're acting like the Iraqi Information Minister on this one...