Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

"but when it comes to foreign policy, i.e. the "liberation of iraq's people", this apparently does not apply"

Which "this" are you referring to? If it's defining need for themselves, it's interesting you see the freedom to hang in a basement from your ankles for expressing dissent, as a choice to determine anything but winding up being tortured.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RobBob, I think the last thing you need to do is justify how you choose to spend your clearly hard-earned dollars to folks on this site. Fuck'em! It's your money, and your perogative on how you choose to spend that money. There's plenty of people posting here who are quick to decry your new rig but at the same time, I'm sure they've bought things in the past that others would deem luxury and superfluous to needs.

Don't be so hypocrytical you wankers! If you really want to live a holier than though life, then you can start by ceasing to spend time spraying on an Internet forum and instead choose to constructively spend that time doing something else like working for homeless charities or something.

It really is a case of envy for most. It's the case the world over. It's quicker and more convenient to disparage SUV owners than to simply accept that they've earned the purchasing power to afford said luxury item. It's identical to when someone gets the dream job that you wanted, or the unversity spot that you coveted, or the girlfriend you had many a wet dream over, and on, and on...

For example...I am jealous that you wankers can skip up 5.11s and I'm still flailing around 5.9s. Therefore, I'll instead attack your naff choice of clothing, personal hygiene, or style in getting up the 5.11 rather than recognize that you're a better climber than me and maybe there's something I can learn from you.

Well, I've mumbled on long enough now...back to work I suppose... bigdrink.gif

JGowans said:

RobBob, I think the last thing you need to do is justify how you choose to spend your clearly hard-earned dollars to folks on this site. Fuck'em! It's your money, and your perogative on how you choose to spend that money. There's plenty of people posting here who are quick to decry your new rig but at the same time, I'm sure they've bought things in the past that others would deem luxury and superfluous to needs.

Don't be so hypocrytical you wankers! If you really want to live a holier than though life, then you can start by ceasing to spend time spraying on an Internet forum and instead choose to constructively spend that time doing something else like working for homeless charities or something.

It really is a case of envy for most. It's the case the world over. It's quicker and more convenient to disparage SUV owners than to simply accept that they've earned the purchasing power to afford said luxury item. It's identical to when someone gets the dream job that you wanted, or the unversity spot that you coveted, or the girlfriend you had many a wet dream over, and on, and on...

For example...I am jealous that you wankers can skip up 5.11s and I'm still flailing around 5.9s. Therefore, I'll instead attack your naff choice of clothing, personal hygiene, or style in getting up the 5.11 rather than recognize that you're a better climber than me and maybe there's something I can learn from you.

Well, I've mumbled on long enough now...back to work I suppose... bigdrink.gif

THE VOICE OF REASON grin.gif

MtnGoat said:

Which "this" are you referring to? If it's defining need for themselves, it's interesting you see the freedom to hang in a basement from your ankles for expressing dissent, as a choice to determine anything but winding up being tortured.

spare me that crap goat! we all know what was happening there. the point is, we are forcing our ways and values on other cultures, and that was the only parallel I was making.

as for you Gowens, I hope that full-time 4wd is proving its worth on the freeways of WA this summer yellaf.gif btw it's not like I can't afford an suv. and even if you couldn't technically afford an suv you could still get one. this is america! you can get whatever car you want with the financing out there. yellaf.gif

iain said:

as for you Gowens, I hope that full-time 4wd is proving its worth on the freeways of WA this summer yellaf.gif btw it's not like I can't afford an suv. and even if you couldn't technically afford an suv you could still get one. this is america! you can get whatever car you want with the financing out there. yellaf.gif

Personally speaking Ian, you are right to mock my SUV ownership in terms of 4-wheel drive obsolescence on the highway. I now see the folly of my erroneous mid-twenties choices and no longer can justify owning an SUV myself. It's not right for me but that's not to say that it isn't right for anyone. I thought it was great at the time to be 25 and own a fucking Land Rover! In fact, I still do, but I suppose it doesn't hold the same allure for me anymore.

Besides, I don't have to justify my rig to anyone. Laugh on. I shall merely use my index finger to gently tap the power window button on my console to ensure all windows are closed, turn up the volume on my premium stereo (god I love the volume control thingy on the steering wheel) and listen to one of the CDs in my 6 CD changer. If it's a little chilly, I'll warm my bum up thanks to my cold climate package which is always good on the leather seats. The walnut interior can sometimes effuse an inexplicable feeling of warmth too. Being so thoroughly enthralled in my shiny SUV, your comments shall pass by in space in time and I will be completely oblivious to you SUV-haters. I just hope you are not driving a Geo Metro else I may squish you accidentally.

Well, must dash chaps, I have tea to drink and crumpet to tend to.

JGowans said:

iain said:

Personally speaking Ian, you are right to mock my SUV ownership in terms of 4-wheel drive obsolescence on the highway. I now see the folly of my erroneous mid-twenties choices and no longer can justify owning an SUV myself. It's not right for me but that's not to say that it isn't right for anyone. I thought it was great at the time to be 25 and own a fucking Land Rover! In fact, I still do, but I suppose it doesn't hold the same allure for me anymore.

Besides, I don't have to justify my rig to anyone. Laugh on. I shall merely use my index finger to gently tap the power window button on my console to ensure all windows are closed, turn up the volume on my premium stereo (god I love the volume control thingy on the steering wheel) and listen to one of the CDs in my 6 CD changer. If it's a little chilly, I'll warm my bum up thanks to my cold climate package which is always good on the leather seats. The walnut interior can sometimes effuse an inexplicable feeling of warmth too. Being so thoroughly enthralled in my shiny SUV, your comments shall pass by in space in time and I will be completely oblivious to you SUV-haters. I just hope you are not driving a Geo Metro else I may squish you accidentally.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Jim said:

Skip the yuppie-mobile, buy a car half the price. Buy some gear and take a leave of absence from work. Travel, climb, drink beer with friends. Or - invest the difference, save yourself the debt, and retire earlier.

That is your definition of pleasure. Mine and some others around here derive a certain amount of pleasure from driving a frightfully expensive SUV knowing that most of the commoners in this world are hopeless saps that can only gaze disdainfully as we sail by in our ultra-modern ships of the asphalt.

May your jalopy bring you joy Jim.

RobBob said:

Gowans---you may end up having the same 4-wheeling dream I had, before this thread is done (page 12).

I had a similar epiphany when I was 24. Chaps like Jim though are hard to see from the rarified atmosphere of the interior of a luxurious and sumptious SUV. My eyes are normally glazed over as I stare at the instrument panel and think of all the things I can do with the vastly powerful V8 engine in front of me and the second stick thingy that sits in front of my automatic stick shifter. Why, I could climb kerbs and demolish entire lines of landscaped flowerbeds in parking lots if I wished. Jim, instead would meekly have to sidle along like the rest of the commoners in the drive through lane at McDonalds.

Vroom vroom, hear me roar Jim!

JGowans said:

yellowsleep.gif

I think it's now clear where the issues of traffic congestion lie in America's cities! yellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gifthumbs_up.gif I'm just giving you a hard time. BTW, I own a tacoma. not a monster, but no hybrid either. I do not commute with it however, but do drive it to the mountains since I need somewhere to sleep up there. wave.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

JGowans said:

blah blah blah

yellowsleep.gif

Hmm. I'm affronted. I spend time compiling a thoughtful response and the best you can come up with is an emoticon. You do bore me Ursa_Eagle. Perchance I shall give you another chance to redeem yourself.

Should redemption not be forthcoming, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your underpants!

what is the essential difference between driving an SUV to work and driving a geo metro to work? We draw a line in the sand and say that the amount of fossil fuels consumed by the metro is okay and the SUV isn't. I just don't get it unless a person walks or rides a bike (which I know some do and I very much respect those persons). Do we ever fly to Europe for a climbing trip? Lots 'o fuel consumed there too! Public transportation over there is awesome but they have also 'civilized' (e.g., huts, telepheriques) the mtns which is a choice some wouldn't care for. Oh well, random thoughts.

My honey gives me grief for wasting water washing his shiny new SUV.

He dragged it thru some sagebrush this weekend getting out of the way of a guy on the dirt road. Guy on the road in his Chrysler Cordoba (this IS Eastern Warshington) was pleasantly surprised that the rich peole from the big city were not worried about scratching the shiny new car. the_finger.gif

Haha, you wankers crack me up. I'm not disputing that owning a nice vehicle is more fun. I, in fact, own one myself. What really gets me is this "I need to show off my nice vehicle to others" crap. Give me a break. If you cared about giving your customers a nice ride, you'd get a cadilliac or any number of fine german luxury autos, rather than some top-heavy converted truck.

BTW, BubRub, I think you'd having a hard time convincing fred beckie or a slew of other people that the only thing that holds it's appeal over time is driving a nice car or having money or whatever the hell you meant with that comment.

And related to the anti-establishment comment about my boss, he owns two motorcycles (drives them on sunny weekends) and spends his money on other things he must enjoy, including retiring early I'm sure. Every stop to think that impressing the ress of suburbia might not be everybody's idea of a good use for their money?! confused.gif

Above all else, I hope you enjoy your new vehicle. If sitting high and mighty above the car drivers and considering yourself better is what brings you joy, more power to you. When it's all said and done, enjoying yourself is what matters.