Anchorage climbing

scott

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a spring up there about 6 years ago. Don't know what it'd be like in summer, but the Chugach is so close you won't believe it! There are ice climbs in there that may survive on the back sides away from the sun. Check out a book called Fat City Ice, or call 411 and get the numbers for the REI and Alaskan Mountain Community or something like that (it's a retail store that has knowledgable folks).

From what I saw around town and in the Eklutna River canyon, it all looked really chossy. Mountain biking in teh Chugach should be fun, tho, and kayaking (freshwater) shouldn't be hard to find. Sea kayaking, well, you're right there. BE AWARE OF THE MUD FLATS!!! They have killed many.

HTH

Anchorage, AK REI number is 907-272-4565. Give them a call and talk to them. Before you hang up, ask them the name/number of AMC to get add'l beta. They won't care, they're all pretty "down home" folks up there.

Make sure you hit Humpy's for grub while you're there! bigdrink.gif

Fergit Chilkut Charlie's - too trendy, altho the tunes rockband.gif

...sobo

Hey scott, I'm living in Anchorage right now.

Cragging: Just out of town the rotten roadcuts and cliffs along Turnagin Arm were recently voted "Worst Crag in America" by Climbing Magazine, but they're really close. About an hour north of Anchorage in Hatcher's Pass is unlimited granite, and a guidebook will be coming out Spring 2004. There used to be an internet guidebook but I think it's offline right now. Check out www.globalmotion.org

Alpine: The Chugach is right there and the Talkeetna Range is close. Don't know much about ice climbing but I know a lot of people do. Check out the MCAK at www.mcak.org

Mountain biking is everywhere. River kayaking is everywhere. DON'T go sea kayaking out of Anchorage, Whittier and Seward are close and much better.

And when you get to town, go to Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking, it's on Spenard Road very close to REI, and I hear they have route updates for Hatchers.

Drop me a line if you want to climb when you're here turbidite@hotmail.com

climbing: there is the roadcut along the Seward highway, not the greatest, but there are also climbs in the chugach on the wedge etc., best place to go is up by Palmer at Hatcher's Pass.

Check out The Scar and this site

mt biking: tons of it. chugach, kenai, even some fun trails in anchorage, just stop in to one of the bike shops and ask.

kayaking: pretty much everything you could want to paddle, if you are good then go to Hope, (across turnagain arm from Anchorage) you will not be dissapointed.

Glacier climbing: yeah, go to the matanuska or portage or exit, plus a million other possible places, tons of summer mountaineering.

There are all sorts of trails to run and hike in the chugach and with the easy access and proximity to town and 20+ hours of daylight.

Anchoarge is a blast if you spend most of your time outside.

faust said:

And when you get to town, go to Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking, it's on Spenard Road very close to REI, and I hear they have route updates for Hatchers.

THAT was the name I couldn't remember fully. Thanx faust

...sobo

THAT was the name I couldn't remember fully. Thanx faust

...sobo

No prob. AMH is a cool store and they're somehow connected with the Mountaineering Club of Alaska, who maintain several climbing huts and a good climbing library.

I was in a hurry on my last post, I have more thoughts.

The Chugach is very close to town and cool for hiking, biking, camping, mountain scrambling, and technical snow/ice/glacier routes. There are dozens and dozens of trails/routes, the state park made a great map you can get at AMH or REI. The further east you go the bigger the peaks get, Marcus Baker is a big honker at 13,000+ (less then 20 miles from tidewater). But the rock is chossy greywacke melange shite. (Hence "Worst Crag in America" along the Arm)

I really recommend spending as much time as possible in the Talkeetnas, much better and more aesthetic rock. Unlimited technical rock routes, within a day of Anchorage. Check out my pic of Troublemint in the photo gallery.

There's a lifetime of fantastic hiking and biking on state park and forest service trails both in the Anchorage and Mat Valley area and further south on the Kenai Peninsula. Good long trails include Johnson Pass and Resurrection Pass. The Kenai Mountains on the peninsula are also chossy but great scrambling and more.

I doubt you could do any river kayaking near Anchorage, but a couple hours north on the Glenn near Chickaloon there are river raft guides, and I know there is good whitewater down on the Kenai Peninsula (Six Mile Creek amongst others) For ocean kayaking, Whittier is close to Anchorage (one hour?) and provides access to Prince William Sounds. Two hours south near Seward is Kenai Fjords National Park, spectacular.

Lots of stuff to do up here, I recommend it. Anchorage sucks to live in, but it is within 10 minutes of Alaska.

scott said:

Thanks for the information. I am thinking of living out of a truck w/ camper or renting a cabin outside of town. anyplace close by with shacks in the woods? I am just about sold on the idea.

Funny you mention "shacks" smile.gif Girdwood (30 miles south and cool as hell) has a perpetual problem of squatter shacks in the woods. Some of these are real architectural masterpieces. They showed one on TV that had a nice bouldering wall.

If you're not into that scene, I'm sure you could find a cheap a-frame or something north or south of town. And you wouldn't have any problem finding a free place to park your camper either.

Good luck!

Funny you mention "shacks" Girdwood (30 miles south and cool as hell) has a perpetual problem of squatter shacks in the woods. Some of these are real architectural masterpieces. They showed one on TV that had a nice bouldering wall.

hasn't los anchorage been kicking people outta their shacks in girdweed the last few years?