Ashland Oregon -partners?

Lambone

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I so feel your pain... I ony know of one place to climb south and it is somewhere between eugene and ashland (roseburg). All sport I think... but that is just what I KNOW... there may be more. maybe we can climb at some point this summer. My best friend and I have some objectives down there grin.gif

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

I'm just headed down there on Friday! We go once a year to see a few plays. We thought about moving to Ashland when the rain was driving us insane back in 1999, but there are already plenty of doctors in town. Also, real estate costs were more like you'd expect to see in California (but you probably know this). Good rock seems like the one thing the area doesn't have: after all it's got great running and biking trails starting right out of town, Mount Ashland all of 20 miles away, Mt Shasta and Mt McLaughlin right around the corner. You could do worse. But I have no clue where to find the closest sport climbs.

Rattlesnake is not too far away and has some really fun routes, and quite a few of them. Also, there are a few smaller areas nearby. Greensprings perhaps, and a bouldering area too I think. Plus Castle Crags isn't too far, nor are the NorCal coastal areas. But, the mtn biking is super right outside Ashland. For more info ask DFA, he went to school there. There is also a Southern Oregon Climbers guide that has these areas in it.

Hey Bone, here is the link to the book: http://www.climbsworegon.com/GUIDE/climbing_guide.htm

There are some ex ellent climbs down your way, and awesome sport climbing in the summer too (unlike the heat of Smiff)! I head down there to climb regularly in the summer, spending my mornings and evenings climbing, and then swimming and fishing for summer steelhead on the Umpqua. Good way to break up the day!

There is also some excellent bouldering on the N. Cali coast, but if I tell you where the cove is, I'd have to kill ya.

ryland_moore said:

Hey Bone, here is the link to the book: http://www.climbsworegon.com/GUIDE/climbing_guide.htm

There are some ex ellent climbs down your way, and awesome sport climbing in the summer too (unlike the heat of Smiff)! I head down there to climb regularly in the summer, spending my mornings and evenings climbing, and then swimming and fishing for summer steelhead on the Umpqua. Good way to break up the day!

There is also some excellent bouldering on the N. Cali coast, but if I tell you where the cove is, I'd have to kill ya.

or you could google the cove and download the free online guide!!

yellaf.gif

Lambone, you might try heading down to the SOU climbing wall at their athletic center building on a weeknight. Their schedule may be sort of random, so you might call the athletic dept. first, but if they are still running it, there's usually 10 or 20 people down there, and you could probably hook up with some locals to crag with.

Thanks yall! We are really looking forward to moving down there, it's going to be so nice to get away from the city. We just found a house this weekend, up in the woods, real quiet and peaceful.

I am sad to leave the North Cascades, but with real jobs I think we will be able to afford a few trips up here per summer. Plus I always enjoy exploring a new zone, it is something to get exited about. I only wish I had gotten out more while living here...have to make up for it this spring I guess. bigdrink.gif