#5 Camalot

TimL

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap that is funny. It makes a good read.

"I have a confession to make. When I first saw the bolt on Pipeline from the incredible belay stance of Fray Ends... I was disgusted. I vowed then and there to spit on it as I went past. But now, seeing the hanger come to Papa, I pretty much slaughtered the finest lamb and threw a party."

"Anyway. I'm sure all the hardmen out there would shake their head at the thought of using a whole roll of tape in a single ascent of any route. Fortunately, I didn't have to push my way through a crowd of hardmen to reach the base of the route.

"

yelrotflmao.gif

About Clean Corner:

A #5 Camalot can be placed at about shoulder height from the ledge you start from. It isn't real secure but it gets you started and gives you something to worry about as you try to get past it so you don't try to look ahead too far. It won't be needed on the rest of the climb. Bolts have appeared in the area and may simplify things. It looks like this may become an exit pitch for new climbs under it.

A long time ago I climbed Split Beaver with prototype/demo large Camelot. I think the #5 cam out after they had been in production awhile. Therefore it seems likely that I was using a #4; however, since it was along time ago I am not sure if the sizing on the unit I was using was the same as production units (although I can’t imagine it wasn’t) Split Beaver didn’t seem too badly protected and that it wasn’t very continuous.

PP bigdrink.gif

erik said:

bigwalling said:

Split Beaver can be done with 1 #4 camalot. Most of it isn't wide at all.

have you done it???

what other pro should i expect to use??

Split Beaver is a fist crack. All you need is some costalot size #3s and maybe a 3.5. I think that's compatible to a #4 friend?

How about the left side of the split piller. I don't remember if I had one but I think i should of...

Pitch 5 of Aurora on El Cap.. Bring and least 2.

There are some good easy wide thing down in the gorge at smith. Great place to use the #5 without massive amounts of cursing.

specialed said:

erik said:

bigwalling said:

Split Beaver can be done with 1 #4 camalot. Most of it isn't wide at all.

have you done it???

what other pro should i expect to use??

Split Beaver is a fist crack. All you need is some costalot size #3s and maybe a 3.5. I think that's compatible to a #4 friend?

yeah but if you are a wimp and worried about cheese gratering out as you try to push up your piece the 4.5 is nice for the last few feet... what really helps for that climb is long arms to reach in and grab the chockstones... then you dont need OW technique.

I think you are right on the money about Leavenworth stuff

Carnival Crack

Big Bertha

I TR'd something on the far side of punk rock a long time ago that is not in any guides that was long and would require big gear

We all have seen the ocaasionaly mossy ow somewhere up high off the beaten track in the encahnments or Stuart area.

-----------------

Supercrack takes the pink camalot up high (#4)

----------------

Leavenworth kicks ass!

Diverse climbing and good weather.

And I don't care what anybody says, I love Gustav's!

bigdrink.gif

Jens said:

Leavenworth kicks ass!

Diverse climbing and good weather.

And I don't care what anybody says, I love Gustav's!

bigdrink.gif

I'm with ya man. If you ever need a gustav n' 11worth lover let me know. bigdrink.gif

Not to mention the scenery is definitely better than your average crag.

Urge you 11wth lovers to head over there right now, it's double good now because you'll not only get pumped, you'll also lose weight - all the weight the ticks can run away with that is.

Actually, what are good places in Icicle/Tumwater Canyons in tick season? 8-mile rock is great, no ticks there, other suggestions? Uh, tick-free OW anyone rolleyes.gif

Super Crack is so on the list for this year.

So is the left side of the split. Mike - you'd reccomend to bring a # 5 for that one?

After seeing Pipeline that stuff looks awesome to.

Raft Rock crack looks like a really cool line from the road. Looks dirty though.

What about Mastadon Roof? Although pro is not reccomended to 5 its looks like it could get large.

Leavenworth does rock. Gustavs greasy fries and bigdrink.gif are the best.