Did you ski some Fresh, err, Slushies?

ski_photomatt

We did. Saturday broke trail with Ned_Flanders and another friend through 2+ft of heavy snow at Lichtenburg. We were a little surprised to see so much new snow. Going down was even somewhat of a chore. Even with so much new snow, you could still feel the underlying old snow mad.gif I found some remnant freshies at Alpental Sunday, some of them in fact quite good.

Where did you go?

FYI: our original intention Saturday was to ski Arrowhead, but when we arrived at the DOT plowed pullout near the train tunnel exit, a security guard waved at us and we walked over. She said this was 'private property' and trespassing was prohibited. I said we were going skiing in the National Forest on public land, she said your car may get towed. Evidently terrorist concerns have led the government to place a security guard next to the DOT maintainence shed and tunnel outlet, and perhaps, at least temporary, close this parking lot to skiers. This is also the Henry Creek approach to Jim Hill. She looked quite surprised that anyone would want to park there and go skiing and we got the impression she had not been told what to do if skiers had arrived, whether to let them park and go or tell them to move along. I asked whom we could contact and ask and she simply said 'we are under code red, I can't say anything'. We perhaps could have parked there without any consequences, but we didn't want to take the chance of having our car towed or alarm anyone needlessly. I'd imagine those concerned with security are a little sensitive nowadays, prudence suggested we go elsewhere.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I skied lifts at Baker on Sunday. There was 2' of dreamy powder on the upper mountain and chunky shit down lower.

I've parked next to the Stevens tunnel 2 times this year with no problems. They won't tow you unless you park overnight and there is a dump. The security guard was just acting like a typical clueless security nazi.

posted this a bit in another thread, but was screwing around in the terrain park, went off one of those larger ramps, just as I was leaving the ramp saw stupid boarder dude in landing zone, tried to swerve, landed w/ skis not parallel and a bit sideways, skis went different dir's, goggles cracked and stuffed w/ snow, pain and suffering! funky on-off knee pain now, really scary. thumbs_down.gif

I drove up to BC this weekend, and judging by the snow on the trees, the baker area (mount vernon through border along I-5) seemed to get the most snow and the lowest down. THe level was much higher around everett (looking towards tevens pass) and also much higher up in BC it appeared. Around bellinngham, it looks like it got down around 1500 or 2000 feet though.

iain said:

posted this a bit in another thread, but was screwing around in the terrain park, went off one of those larger ramps, just as I was leaving the ramp saw stupid boarder dude in landing zone, tried to swerve, landed w/ skis not parallel and a bit sideways, skis went different dir's, goggles cracked and stuffed w/ snow, pain and suffering! funky on-off knee pain now, really scary. thumbs_down.gif

Sounds like there is a lesson to be learned here...when in doubt, land on the stupid boarder in the landing zone, hoping he'll break some of the fall.

Said another way:

Cracking the boarder on the head with a ski is better than hurting your knee. hahaha.gif

Nice pictures!

I was soaking it all in at SkiHole, yesterday. Slushiez all over the place! Outback was stellar up top, but mighty thin on those exit shots to the Log road. I screwed up a landing (all by myself!) and came away with a headache and a slightly black eye. cantfocus.gif

Good luck with the knee, IandI.

AlpineK said:

I've parked next to the Stevens tunnel 2 times this year with no problems. They won't tow you unless you park overnight and there is a dump. The security guard was just acting like a typical clueless security nazi.

I've also parked there earlier this year and previous years without a problem. We got the impression Saturday morning that this was something new since 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' has started. The lady twice mentioned the bombing/war and said they were under extra tight security.

Freezing level was ~3500ft or a tad lower (snow on trees) at Stevens Saturday morning. Driving back from Alpental Sunday evening it had dropped to 2000ft. It was cold last night, I bet skiing today is dope.

Just spent 5 days at The Big Mountain in Whitefish, MT. 1 day of sun and slushies, 3 days of 20 degrees, snow and fog with sunbreaks and one day of 20' visibility and rain. If you bring a pass from any other ski area, tickets are $39- not a bad deal for such a great mountain.

Sorry to hear about the knee, Iain. Glad you could blame it on a boarder. wave.gif