OMG CO is getting dumped on

iain

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

philfort said:

7 feet of snow is pretty epic even by Cascade standards... we certainly haven't received anything like this this year.

Hehe...I commented on this when somebody (was it you?) posted about it a while back. I call bullshit on it. Snow gets so unbelievably wind deposited in the rockies it's not even funny. I've been in areas there where telemetry and what not claims 2 feet of new snow and it's 6 inches, maybe. To make matters worse it all blows away the next day.

ryland_moore said:

No shit! Wyoming is getting about the same too! If you have ever been to Red Rocks for a show, you will understand how big that is to see that much snow there! Cascades havern't seen snow like that since Baker was shut down in 1999! cry.gif

Dude...Baker got about 900+" inches last year. I bet that's equal to what CO got the 4 seasons before this combined. I wouldn't be cry.gifing

yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

"I am talking about a single dump, like CO and WY are experiencing as we speak."

But I thought it happened three days ago? hahaha.gif Just given' ya shit man.

I just posted cause everybody gets so bummed about our season. I've seen both sides of it, I'd much rather have a 500" average over the season with lots of dumps than live in a place where they get one big dump every 10 years, and it all blows away and slides anyway. It's not as bad here as we all make it out to be. grin.gif

JoshK said:

No, you are correct. And see my previous post. I call bullshit on the 7 feet of new snow in 24 hours regardless. Check the current weather and forecasts for CO right now. Scattered snow showers for the most part. rolleyes.gif

From the National Park Service Morning Report for Friday (www.nps.gov/morningreport/)

Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)

Park Buried Under Many Feet of Snow

The Beaver Meadows VC reopened on Thursday, but all roads within the park were still closed due to the extraordinary amounts of snow that fell on the park this week. Additional time was needed to plow roads and clean shoulders. Wildlife, stressed by the heavy snowfall, were reportedly also using the roads for travel. At least four feet of snow fell at the visitor center, elevation 7,840 feet, but the really breathtaking snowfall occurred a bit higher up – eight feet of snow at the Bear Lake trailhead, elevation 9,475 feet. Extreme avalanche conditions are reported in the backcountry.

[submitted by Kyle Patterson, PIO]

More importantly, check this out!

On March 17th, rangers in the park’s West Subdistrict were called to assist Montana Highway Patrol and Madison County SO officers in the pursuit and capture of a drunk driver who was heading down Highway 287 at about 100 miles per hour, brandishing a shotgun out the truck’s window. He was heading toward Highway 191 and a junction that would take him either through part of the park or the town of West Yellowstone. Rangers helped West Yellowstone officers divert traffic at several locations and place spike strips on the highway. The man drove past rangers and officers with the shotgun barrel still pointed out the driver’s side window. He drove over the spike strip, which deflated his front tires, then stopped a little further down the road. Officers attempted to surround him, but he resumed driving. At that point, Montana Highway Patrol officers fired into the truck’s rear tires in an attempt to disable it. The driver continued for another half mile, lost control of his truck, and went off the road. A standoff ensued in which the driver continued to point his shotgun out the window. He refused to comply with commands, so a SWAT/tactical team was summoned from Bozeman, about 80 miles to the north. A park special agent trained as a crisis negotiator was also called in, but deputies and rangers were eventually able to subdue the driver. He lost his shotgun in the process and was taken into custody without further incident. He faces numerous state felony charges. [brian Smith, Supervisory Special Agent, YELL]

Sounds like the mowich lake area! yelrotflmao.gif

Dru said:

switch to metric now. it will save lives and tax dollars. the_finger.gif

I wish so bad we would switch to metric. Do you honestly think a country that run by George W would be "un-patriotic" enough to switch from the good ol' retarted english system to metric, tho? hahaha.gif Not a chance. Also remember the entire southern half of this country would be thrown into disarray just at the mere thought of having to learn to convert. yelrotflmao.gif