what about Bask brand?

cirpich

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am having used bask euqipment once for kamchatka expedition and was finding it less than adequate until more equipment made from american companyies was delivered. it is true that many russian products are inferior and less than quality and i am not above admitting this as i am now several years living in other countries and not apart of ussr any longer. american company producing products in foriegn land is often producing most quality gear although not most quality climbers. to many latte and beers as i have said earlier!

milosh k

Hi guys,

I was readng this chat for a while but now it's time to say a word here.

I do use Bask equipment for years and I am desagreed with this felow Miloshk. I am former Russian and know this company for years. 6 years ago I've bouhjt a bag Trekking and was very heppy with it. Now my 3-year-old use it - piing, spiling water on it, but it stil is a usful sliping bag. May be they had problems few years ago, when they were srating, but by now I would say it's a very reliable brand with very good prices for it's quolity. After they came to American market I do not doubt where to buy things. I've got a bounch of stuff just recenly , the service is nice as well.

I can give you a list of equipment I have. My feedback for every item is positive.

Sleeping bags: Trekking thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Spantik thumbs_up.gif ( combined together they make a good winter bag)

Jackets:

Khan Tengry thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rishikesh shell with flece liner ( do not remember the name ) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I also have waterproof pants thumbs_up.gif

down sweater thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Back packs:

big one for 80 liters thumbs_up.gif

Back country 30 liters snowboarding pack thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Yocksport 14 liters for city use thumbs_up.gif

I also use their underwear, down mitts and hats and my husband just got Valdez parka for this winter.

I won't recommend tents - they are pretty havy and pricy - or boots . But I think for down they are the best on the morket for the moment.

Sorry for being agressive, but Russa has not much to be proud of now days and I don't like to see when people don't want to acsept what is good. wave.gif

• 9 months later...

I've actually been to their factory, hidden deep within an industrial block, surrounded by barbed wire, in the outskirts of Moscow. I made the expedition one day while serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer over there. I wanted to check out a Russian sporting goods company, I just didn't know that it was located in this big complex, and the guards didn't understand what I wanted (but they let me in anyways). What did I find? A bunch of folks in a room with sewing machines, and a little store that reminded me of a tiny REI with tents on the walls. I also own one of their down sleeping bags, I forget the name but it's rated at around zero F.

It may not be the highest quality gear, or the fanciest, but I've found it all quite functional, and pretty damn cheap if you buy it in Russia. I've used my bag in -15 F temps and been pretty happy with it. It's simple but it works well. I'd say it's a step above much of the made in China cheapo stuff, and a step below the made in the USA stuff. I don't know where you'd buy it here though.

Climb Max for $130, but it was the only one (of the Khan Tengri VIP) they had. I saw some lighter Bask down jackets there, and they had some Bask mittens too.

My biggest gripe is that the zipper slider is on the wrong side. I'm not sure if I got a women's model or if it's a russian thing, but it fits so I don't care. I may just have the zipper replaced.