Bummer

TimL

Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:11 p.m. Pacific

Avalanche in B.C. kills two skiers from Seattle

By The Associated Press

E-mail this article

Print this article

Search web archive

NELSON, B.C. — Two men from Seattle were killed by an avalanche yesterday afternoon while back-country skiing near Nelson, B.C.

The men were identified as Ronald Gregg, 55, and James Schmid, 42, by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) detachment in Nelson, which is 34 miles north of the U.S. border in southeast British Columbia.

Gregg and Schmid were with two other skiers in the Grizzly Bowl area of Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park when they were hit by the avalanche about 2 p.m., according to the RCMP.

Both men were dead by the time British Columbia Parks police and rescuers reached them, said the RCMP's, Cpl. Grace Arnott. The skiers apparently hiked into the region and were skiing out when the avalanche occurred.

The RCMP said they had no further details about the avalanche, nor about the other skiers who were with the two victims.

Eighteen people have been killed in British Columbia avalanches this winter, including 14 in the Revelstoke region, about 90 miles north of Nelson.

Seven teenagers from Calgary were killed in Glacier Park Feb. 1, and seven skiers and snowboarders were killed in the back country north of Revelstoke on Jan. 20.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way bummer, man. Anyone familiar with this area have ANY idea why so many people have succumbed in this area? Is the avy danger super tricky to read or what? I know it's no snap anywhere, but anything specific to the Nelson area that makes it extra difficult?

GregW -

Although I am more of a coastal skier, and don't have a lot of experience with the interior sno climate, I am about 1 hr drive from Nelson this winter, so I have a few thoughts on what's up...

The snowpack is particularly bad this year. There are several layers that have persisted through the season, driving the stability down every time there is a new load on it.

I have observed these layers (most of them surface hoar on sun/melt crsuts) as being moderate to hard on shovel and compression tests, while reacting fairl easily on rutschblocks (3/4). This leads me to feel that most of the snow pack is in the grey zone most of the time, making for tricky descision making.

The Nelson area, and the rest of the Columbia Mtns are usually a intermountain snowpack, which seems to me to mean that we get the dumps like the coast but we get the problems of a Rockies pack. blush.gif My memory (fallible for sure) seems to be that most winters see most accidents in this area, especially the big, newsworthy ones.

I have not felt it worth doing much touring this winter. Partly because I have an awesome ski hill here that is not crowded so I can find Freshiez days after the last snow, but mostly because of the sketchy snow.

The other factor that has affected the percption of this winter is the fact that there were two BIG incidents, a week or so apart. If either one of those had not happened we would be on an average kind of year. As it is, we are going way over average now. frown.gif

My thoughts, YMMV.

Greg_W said:

Thanks, fascist moderator of the freshiez*zone.

Don't forget I too stand ready to moderate the fuck out of you or anyone else for no reason....

In a normal year the interior ranges have a fairly stable snowpack. There are no long dry spells the temps never get that cold and the ranges never experience the kind of winds that are common in the Rockies.

There is a reason why there are tons of hele ski operations in the interior ranges and next to none in the rockies.

AlpineK said:

Greg_W said:

Thanks, fascist moderator of the freshiez*zone.

Don't forget I too stand ready to moderate the fuck out of you or anyone else for no reason....

In a normal year the interior ranges have a fairly stable snowpack. There are no long dry spells the temps never get that cold and the ranges never experience the kind of winds that are common in the Rockies.

There is a reason why there are tons of hele ski operations in the interior ranges and next to none in the rockies.

ya cause the Rockies are National Parks where commercial heliskiing is banned....

i have to deal with the biologists who do all the ungulate winter range planning. goats, sheep, elk, caribou, none of em like thrice daily or more helicopter overflights.... i think i know where every heli lodge is from here to edmonton. sounds like the saturation poiint was reachedabout a year ago, but of course they'll go on to develop it to 3 or 4 times bigger than it is now, disneyland with avalanches.

good thing coastal snow is suck rolleyes.gif

Dru said:

i have to deal with the biologists who do all the ungulate winter range planning. goats, sheep, elk, caribou, none of em like thrice daily or more helicopter overflights.... i think i know where every heli lodge is from here to edmonton. sounds like the saturation poiint was reachedabout a year ago, but of course they'll go on to develop it to 3 or 4 times bigger than it is now, disneyland with avalanches.

good thing coastal snow is suck rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna start calling you Ewel Dru Gibbons. yellaf.gif