King5 News: 25 feet of snow?

Uncle_Tricky

On the 11 pm King5 News, they just reported that areas near Whistler in BC have received 25 FEET of snow in the last 48 hours. The thing was, it wasn't just a slip of the tongue. They repeated it twice AND had a graphic that also showed that BC had received 25 FEET of snow in the last two days.

I'm skeptical.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats 8m of snow which (if it was all powder) would be equivalent to 80 cm (powder snow density =0.1) or 800mm of rain in 48 hrs.

400mm/24 hrs is a high, but not unheard of rainfall intensity

but it was pretty sunny today actually

OTOH, I do know people who have been ski touring and got stormed in and had it snow 8 feet of cement in 24 hours, so...

you are right it seems high. not impossible, but pretty unlikely. like an 8 foot tall human. snaf.gif

From canada.com :

Friday, March 14, 2003

A large storm track moving through southwest B.C. has created an extreme avalanche rating in the backcountry regions surrounding Whistler Mountain.

The ski resort recorded 770 centimetres over the past 48 hours causing uncontrolled out-of-bounds areas prone to sliding.

Avalanche forecaster Anton Horvath says significant snowfall on top layers of very dry snow creates unstable conditions.

Authorities recommend skiers and snowboarders do not go into the backcountry until conditions improve.

Typo in the news wire???

CAA bulletin says for South Coast:

A further 130 cm of storm snow had accumulated by Friday,

The WB web site is down, maybe they really did get buried! yelrotflmao.gif

I'm heading up in a few hours, gonna ski like 10 degree slopes from the Himmelsbach hut for a few days. I just can't stand sitting around during my week off madgo_ron.gif Like my buddy said: either you'll die in a slide or you'll kill yourself Shining style staying in the hut cantfocus.gif

The news is dumb, like usual. Whistler didn't receive 770cm of snow, and like somebody mentioned, the news probably got their info from that report. 770cm is somewhere near 25 feet. I wouldn't be too jealous, even whistler's web site reports the conditions as "cascade powder" yelrotflmao.gif

scot'teryx said:Talked to my friend up in whistler yesterday and he said the upper mountain was closed all day, too much snow too fast that they could open the operations.

The alpine wasn't closed yesterday, but the Peak Chair didn't open until around 11, and Harmony until noon. I think it was more to do with poor visibility than too much snow.

They did let some guys up the Peak chair early, it looked like they were doing a photo shoot on the cliff band to the right. Gave everyone waiting in line something to watch as guys hucked themselves off the cliff.