Weekend wx sucks again, whats everybody doing?

JoshK

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends arrived late from Issaquah and we were all lethargic and not to keen on heading into the mountains, where the sky was very black. So we skipped out on the 'W trifecta'. Instead bouldered inside, went for a hike at Squires Lake and bouldered over there on some sandstone.

Now emailing my groomsmen to get measurements for their tuxes, picking out an island in the south pacific for honeymoon (nice room for a week of snooking, and then diving and boulders cool.gif)

Dulton said:

I'm thinkin' the next time I go up Si, i'll take a couple flats of pop and an 8' table and set up on the top and charge 2bucks per soda..... good workout and I'll make some bank... anyone wanna help?? bigdrink.gif

I'm in. Give me a 30% take and I'll carry the table.

JoshK said:

jja said:

chucK said:

THE MIGHTY MOUNT SI!!!

I saw many people hiking with

GIANT HCL.gif packs.

A guy in plastics 2.

crazy mushsmile.gif

I got there relatively early - 7ish, so I caught the gaper show on the way down. It wasn't just the plastics and giant packs some of these folks had, but full alpine regalia complete with helmets, ice axes, and one dude with - I shit you not - wands!!

.. but hey, if I wasn't such a gaper myself I would have been somewhere other than si.

LOL...man, Si cracks me up. It's always good for a laugh. I ran up last week during the pouring rain and saw all sorts of madness. One guy had these giant ass 36" alaskan powder style snowshoes strapped to his pack. I guess he needed them for the 6" of slush up on the summit! yelrotflmao.gif

Worked! hellno3d.gif Supposed to be unemployed.

People on Si crack me up....Me fanny pack-them big back pack-"Hey you dont have the __ essentials" rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

Last time up a few weeks ago it was many plastics on parade. pitty.gif. I say instead of carrying water up there carry beer (in cans).

fruit.gif

Dulton said:

To_The_Top said:

No way--50/50 and then we share!

cc.com hike of Si is a good thing

TTT bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Hahaha.... if we make enough cash, we could set up in the crater on Rainier.... (wow, i think i'm taking this too far......)

I have taken Rainier beer to the top many times and tried to get those gung-ho at Muir to drink it at the summit for photo-ops and have had few takers....

It tastes better at 4K than at 14K bigdrink.gif

I would take beer to the summit of any mountian if it got drunk at the top.

TTT fruit.gif

Iain,

You make some interesting observations.

I remember someone asking me if I went climbing a lot. My first reaction was to say, "No, not really". Which is true in an absolute sense, compared to other people I read about here. But when focused into my own little world, the answer more pertinent is, "Yes I pretty much spend every minute I have for recreation on climbing, or training for climbing".

As for people training for Rainier on Si, I wasn't intending to laugh at them so much as merely marvel thumbs_up.gif.

I wonder if those guys have their packs packed so carefully as to be carrying x days of food, toothpaste and toilet paper?

There were a couple of cool-looking cracks up on the Haystack up there; however, the approach is a bit of a deterrent. Anybody here done any of them? That big chimney with all the chockstones looks like it'd be a hoot (seriously) in a mossy chimney kinda way.

chucK said:

As for people training for Rainier on Si, I wasn't intending to laugh at them so much as merely marvel thumbs_up.gif.

I wonder if those guys have their packs packed so carefully as to be carrying x days of food, toothpaste and toilet paper?

Why do you care?

For a bunch of self-proclaimed individualists, this board contains people quick to ridicule others for doing things different than them.

Hmm. Early morning philosophy, grumpiness, etc.

A strange part of me wants to pack all my climbing gear in my biggest pack, or maybe drag along a sled, and drag it all up Si, compas and GPS around my neck, checking coordinates every minute, and making loud commentary on current conditions and the likelihood on summitting. Wouldn't that be fun, to secretly laugh at all the great stares and looks from "wiser climbers"?

Perhaps some of the gumbies up there were doing just that (but really, probably not).

Attitude said:

chucK said:

Why do you care?

For a bunch of self-proclaimed individualists, this board contains people quick to ridicule others for doing things different than them.

You are so right Attitude. Those guys on training for Rainier on Si are not hurting anyone. Not getting in anyone's way. I think people should mind their own business and definitely not ridicule them.

On the other hand, what is wrong with describing something with which you were surprised at? Talking about something that makes you wonder? That's how I felt about those guys carrying their meticulously packed Rainier gear up Mt. Si. It just brings many questions to mind. Boring questions perhaps, but there's not much interesting going on on this board right now. I had read of this phenomenon on the board but was genuinely surprised at the prevalence of the Rainier packs. Sorry to sound like I'm belittling them.

So anyway, I am NOT laughing at those guys. I could see how there are probably much worse ways to get in shape to climb Mt. Rainier. More power to 'em. bigdrink.gif They probably won't be those punters that end up slowing the whole group down and costing the summit!