• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mark

helmy becky

Does anybody out there no whatever happened to Helmy Becky? He did so much early on with Fred and then his name just disappears from the climbing scene. Is there a story there?

read 'challenge of the north cascades'. fred becky's autobiography. not only do you get the story of helmy, but a good history on cascade climbing. the book in my opinion really majes you want to get out there do do some real climbing.

Some friends of mine from Sechelt are making a documentary about Fred Beckey and according to them Helmy is still alive & well. But for whatever reason him & Fred don't get along to well nowadays. There is going to be some footage in the film of the brothers trash-talkin' each other (or so they say)

I thought Helmy died in an avalanche, like 50 years ago...?

If he is still alive, its a better kept secret than...well...

confused, Alex

Thanks Dru, I'll keep my eye out for that.

Erik, I had read most of Fred's book The Challenge of the North Cascades before and I thumbed through it again after your post. I found lots of stories of his adventures with Fred, but no story regarding why he faded out of sight. Can you tell me where in the book that is,if it is in there? I agree with you, the book sure makes you want to go climbing.

Rgds

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 02-08-2001).]