• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Norman_Clyde

Snowboarder rescued unhurt after 20 minute burial?

The NW avalanche center has posted a report that this past weekend a snowboarder in the Mt. Hood area (I think) triggered an avalanche that carried him into a creek bed, where he was buried 4 feet deep for 20 minutes. Then it says that his buddies were able to perform a beacon-assisted rescue, and that he was dug out unharmed after a 20 minute burial. This outcome is so unusual that I don't want to wait until next year's ANAM to read about it (if it even makes it in as a backcountry skiing incident). Anybody have the whole story?

if the guy's got it together he's already changed his name and killed off all his contacts yellaf.gif

Remeber that Bruce Willis flick 'Unbreakable' ? Where's Mr. Glass?

If the story is true, I'm certainly glad that that was the outcome. There has been enough tragedy in the mountains this season already.

Some dude in scotland was buried for 23 hours in the 70s and came out unharmed. It's the record. So this snowboarder dude incident could have happened.

I thought that woman who was buried in the avalanche at Alpine Meadows in the early 80's was under for days. Although she was in a building and in a little hole created by some toppled lockers, so maybe that's different.

Norman_Clyde said:

...buried 4 feet deep for 20 minutes. Then it says that his buddies were able to perform a beacon-assisted rescue, and that he was dug out unharmed after a 20 minute burial. This outcome is so unusual ...

The only reason he was "unharmed" is because snowboarders, having no braincells, suffer no adverse effects from hypoxia. fruit.gif