Chilkoot Trail

Alan

I'm planning to do the Chilkoot Trail on my own this July. I've booked it over 4 days. The first day is 11.8 miles to Sheep Camp, the 2nd day to Happy Camp, the 3rd to Lindeman City, and the 4th out past Bennett to Lone Cabin. Does anyone know if this sounds reasonable? The ranger told me that the fastest time to Sheep Camp is like 7 hours. I don't understand. If the trail is supposedly in "excellent condition", and you only climb a little over 1000', what's the deal? I'd think that 7 hours would be the norm. Am I missing something? Also, what about the next day over the pass. Gruelling, sure, but it is as difficult as it's made out to be?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the trail last July and the rangers always tell people that it's going to take longer than expected because this trail is gaper central. Don't get me wrong, there are difficult spots, the Golden Stairs is more a pain in the ass than actually really difficult. With a full pack on your back it just takes awhile to climb over refrigerator size boulders on a fairly steep pitch, but it's not that long of a stretch. I did it in five days cause I was with older people who hadn't hiked in 20 years, but easily could've done it in four and I didn't go beyond Bennett - took the train back to Skagway. Take every piece of rain gear you've got, you will be wet, you will sleep in a puddle at least one night and your stuff will never dry, it's SE Alaska. There's no time to go when you can garuntee good weather. It is fun, though and more scenic on the BC side.