Skiier dies at Crystal Friday afternoon

dalius

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as quoted from the article

-The skier was alone in the Campbell Basin area when he fell into a newer snowdrift under a tree and apparently suffocated, Schuster said. With lots of new snow, the areas near the trees "become like quicksand," she explained.

Holy shit Freshiez suck thumbs_down.gif

I got sucked in a tree well at Crystal once. Was unable to extract myself. Fortunately my buddy was close by to help. I was wearing pin bindings with Voile plates and could NOT get my own skis off in the position I was in. Switched to Hot Chilis in case it ever happened again. Easier to reach the heel and don't need to undo any plate at the toe! Friggin scary man!

That sucks...

I got stuck just above a tree-well today for about ten minutes (luckily my friend knew where I was, and was slow skinning back up extricate me) - I was able to free myself eventually, but it would have been a much more serious situation if alone.

(I was on my back, head downhill pointed towards treewell, dangling from slide alder because of my Rainiey heel lifts both caught on alder. I absolutely could not undo my bindings because of angle. Finally with much struggle after 10 minutes I was able to reach a branch, pull it forward and unhook one ski, which I was then able to get out of, and then I could reach the other alder branch. During the whole ordeal, I had to keep hosting my self away from the well by pulling on some other alder)

...important to ski with a buddy in the trees.

at the bottom of the bear claws i cam upon a skier breaking trail in the flats. for some reason he had chosen to take off his skis and walk. he was right next to a tree and was almost neck deep, i thought i was going to have to rescue him but he managed his way out.

my buddy bob and i were at crystal today, and had just gotten on campbell chair as someone came skiing up to the liftie about the person he had just found who wasn't breathing... all he said was, there is a guy over there in the tree well (pointing up to the bowl) who isn't breathing.

talk about a helpless feeling. some others on the chair yelled down to a patroller who was chatting with some skiers, and he went looking in the trees at the bottom of the bowl, talk about a buzz kill.

scary shit though. on one of our final runs, we we're in green valley and bobo and i split up, and he too fell into a well after his bindings popped, luckily he was under the chair so someone pulled him out, he said it was just like quicksand and he couldn't even get purchase with his boots on the inside of the well.

the skiing was wonderful, just tragic to see the events unfold mere feet away from where you are making turns. frown.gif

My first time skiing when I was 5 my dad took my brother sister and I into the backcountry just off a local ski hill. when we stopped for lunch I took off my skiis and was walking around when I went into a well up to my neck. I stopped myself with my arms but could feel the snow giving. My dad thought it was soooooo funny madgo_ron.gif

Toast said:

Bummer, that sucks. I guess this stresses sticking with your partner (no matter how big a pain in the ass they can be.)

FYI, KING5 is doing a story with the ski patrol at Crystal on saturday afternoon/night. We're shadowing them on their afternoon shift to see the types of calls they respond to and talking about the dangers skiers face after a heavy snowfall.

They wanted to make sure we emphasize "buddy skiing".

Eerie said:

where did this 50" + at Crystal come from??? The nwac data site for Crystal Mtn "Ski" area shows something like less than 30" over the previous 4 days.

NWAC also shows snow pack, not snow *fall*. 50" of falling snow does not nescessarily euqal 50" of snow pack, as the snow obviously consolidates somewhat under new snow, wind, etc...

Eerie said:

where did this 50" + at Crystal come from??? The nwac data site for Crystal Mtn "Ski" area shows something like less than 30" over the previous 4 days.

amount fallen, which the ski resorts record.

and

snow water content pack ability something or other is what the nwac records.

50"+ sounds better for the marketing people!!!

And if you think it's bad around here, you should see the snow reports for the california and rockies resorts. Since they have to compete against all the other local resorts, they fudge the numbers like you wouldn't believe. I have figured out that 12" of fresh in the sierras equals calf shots and 12" of fresh in colorado equals a light dusting! hahaha.gifhahaha.giffruit.gif