Seeking Story ideas

NEWSTIPS

Well, we had some positive response from the climbing community on the story KING 5 did last week on the car breakins at trailheads...so we're looking for other concerns of the climbing community to address.

What are some other issues that the climbing community would like to see on the news?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbing Fees/Trail Park Pass ... I'm sure someone else here could give you a better run down than myself on the stupidity and non-necessity of these fees, but I'd like to have Herb Weisbaum (or whoever your guys' consumer reporter is) investigate on where these funds are actually going.

i agree the trail pass fee demo and how the forest service has abused it.

also the agressive tendencies of the leavenworth ranger distrcit towards climbers....

but mos def fee demo....that really chaps my hide....

do a search for it....

also dont get corperate america opinion on it.....talk to the people it really affects. report the truth on where the money actually goes...do you think a forest ranger needs night vision googles and a submachine gun to protect the icicle canyon?

i have yet to see any significant improvement stemming from millions of dollars of collected trail fees.

Erik- In my view, the attitude problem in the Leavenworth district is coming from the top, and I'm not sure a news article in the Seattle papers would really help all that much -- the district ranger certainly rebuffed my attempt to address the issue, as well as attempts made by the Access Fund and other people. But an article comparing how various ranger districts and other jurisdictions deal with climbers around the state might be interesting.

AlpenTom said:

Climbing Fees/Trail Park Pass ... I'm sure someone else here could give you a better run down than myself on the stupidity and non-necessity of these fees...investigate on where these funds are actually going.

How much would you estimate the average climber (is there such a thing) spends each year on climbing fees? I can do the research to find what the fees are and what they are supposedly used for, but what I need to know from you guys is why you think they're not being effectively disbursed. Are there problems on the trails that should theoretically be fixed with the climbing fee income but aren't being done?

You can buy a pass at the beginning of the season for a certain amount. I'd be the wrong person to ask about the amount though because for 1) I don't currently own a vehicle 2) I wouldn't pay the fees even if I did.

It's good you're seeking story ideas on cc.com .. I think that shows class on behalf of yourself and King5. As I'm sure you know, there hasn't been a whole lot of attention given to issues concerning NW climbers in the media. I know I'll think of something else to add to this thread soon, but right now I'm recovering from pub club! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifcantfocus.gifconfused.gifyellowsleep.gif

I agree that the fee-demo program - which in my opinion is a red herring that the forest service is using to distract from the huge amounts of money the lose on other programs - would be a good candidate for an investigation. It certainly affects a much larger group than simply climbers. However, I think it would be hard to treat in a single, short news story - it would almost have to be a series. "This land is our land? - A special report all this week at 11!"

NEWSTIPS said:

Well, we had some positive response from the climbing community on the story KING 5 did last week on the car breakins at trailheads...so we're looking for other concerns of the climbing community to address.

What are some other issues that the climbing community would like to see on the news?

How about a report on Bob Clarke's upcoming 3 peaks in 3 days for a cancer patient?

RuMR said:

How about a report on Bob Clarke's upcoming 3 peaks in 3 days for a cancer patient?

Actually, NWCN did a piece on him several weeks ago, but maybe we'd like to revisit it. I'll have to check to see when exactly that climb is and see if we can hang out (maybe literally?) with him beforehand...

What percent of your 5$ trailpark pass actually goes to fund trail maintenance?

My guess would be that an interesting story could be done by merely looking at the official budgets. Looking at % of trailpark monies that are used only to fund enforcement and logistics of the Fee Demo system itself along with the cut that goes to the general fund in D.C. would be enlightening.

Also comparing the money that is not used up by Fee Demo logistics and kickbacks to D.C. to the amount of money by which the budgets of these agencies have been cut would show whether or not the Fee Demo is helping or hurting in terms of funding what they say it funds.

ehmmic said:

Also, highlight that they use the fact that people buy the pass as evidence that it is working and should be continued. They require it or try to ticket you. How does this logic work?

This is great. The mere fact that this one topic has so many of you steamed means there are literally hundreds more people of the same opinion. I wish there were an icon on here to show the can of worms I've opened with this query. fruit.gif

FYI....I've started the phone calling process to do this story, but don't expect it to turn anytime soon. As Erik or Iain said, this is certainly something that will take a lot of groundwork before it makes it to the airwaves!

Not just Fee Demo, but as Erik said certain ranger's aggressive enforcement of it and harrassment of climbers even when they comply with the rules. I'm sure many people here can give first hand accounts.

On a related note, cool story in the PI this morning on Bred Frecky!!!