AT Skiing on Sunday

robert

After having ridden the lifts all of my life I am going to give Randonee a try this Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions of a good place where my buddy and I can cut our teeth? The NWAC says we should stay home, but the gear is rented and we are going. Thanks for the help. fruit.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you must hit the backcountry this weekend, sticking to low-angle tree skiing that has low objective hazard from steep terrain above you is going to be the safest option, besides staying home. Good tree skiing can be found on Mazama Ridge near Paradise and there are some good glades on Skyline Ridge across from Stevens ski area. That being said this weekend is not a good weekend to head out into the bc if you don't have an experienced crew to go with. Hopefully no one will get dead this weekend.

...Guess I spoke too soon

"A guy just died at Crystal after he fell into a tree well and suffocated. Sad, and condolences."

damn thats awful.

Edited by pete_a

I was out (bc) today near the pass, and while the snow was phenomenal deep fluffy powder, avie conditions were some of the sketchiest I've been out in. Probably a good weekend to stick to resorts. We tried to ski low angle treed stuff, but it's so tempting to start skiing steeper open stuff - maybe go somewhere where you don't have that option (someone suggested Mt Catherine? I've heard it has decent old growth glades). We saw one good-size natural slab that had released, with debris running into dense forest. Also had a 25 degree gladed slope crack and settle under us. Luckily the snow was so light than face shots were possible even on low angle stuff.