Crystal or Bachelor ?

b-rock

Ok, I have a long weekend and it looks like the bc is going to be sketchy, so I'm thinking lift serve but not Hood. Where's the better terrain - Crystal or Bachelor? Never been to Crystal but I've heard good things. Only been to Bach in the rain and that sucked.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard bachelor is cool (never been there myself) but the one complaint I have heard is the summit chair gets closed if there is a good deal of wind. Well, this storm is quite windy, so perhaps you might not be able to access the terrain you'd like.

Crystal is a good area. I think you'd have fun there. Check out the north backcountry, which is more heavly treed. You could probably find some safe stuff back there (really good terrain) if they open it. The inbounds stuff is definitely fun as well. Also, note that the further north you go, the lower the snow level with this storm.

Depends on what you want. I agree with the boys, for sure, about the diversity of the terrain at Crystal. I've skiied a lot at Bachy too though, and the snow is consistently way better down there. MUCH drier. All other things being equal though, and assuming it is cold enough here, Crystal rules. Unless of course you are a raging intermediate skier, and then Bachelor rules!

PS. There is not a lot of lodging at Crystal, though the place to stay would be the Alpine Inn, both for cost and charm. If you can't get a room at Crystal, the (semi-former) logging town of Enumclaw is about an hour away, and is the next-closest place. You will probably be able to find somewhere cheap to stay there.

Another vote for Crystal.

If we're strictly talking terrain, I'd definitely go with Crystal. Bachelor, like Allison said, has consistently better snow in my experiences, but Crystal definitely has the better runs. No offense to Gapertimmy! wave.gifgrin.gif

freeclimb9 said:

Is Ferguson Ridge not even a consideration?

Aha, perhaps. I was thinking I need to see what kind of snow they're getting out there. A bit far from Portland.

Thanks all for the comments, leaning towards Crystal, need to find some cheap lodging. Or is there enough nightlife so that I'll not mind passing out in my truck???

b-rock said:

freeclimb9 said:

Is Ferguson Ridge not even a consideration?

Aha, perhaps. I was thinking I need to see what kind of snow they're getting out there. A bit far from Portland.

Thanks all for the comments, leaning towards Crystal, need to find some cheap lodging. Or is there enough nightlife so that I'll not mind passing out in my truck???

YOU MOS DEF SLEEP IN THE PARKING LOT AND GET SHIT FACED AT THE SNORTING ELK.

DRUNKEN DEBAUCARY ON FRIDAY NIGHT.

I AM GOING ON SATURDAY

DRUNKEN DEBAUCARY ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

Well, I'll cast a lone vote for Bachelor. But then again I'm a boarder who's fond of powder and trees, and the lovely folded terrain off Northwest or poking around off the Red chair is so much fun. True, nothing really steep, but the lifts process people so much faster, and all the really great stuff at Crystal involves multiple chairs to get back to the start. Summit is shut down too often, but when its great its hard to beat. One of my fave days was finding where wind transport had piled all the fluff and cutting huge arcs down the face trailing 100' long plumes behind in the sun. It also seems like you run into some stick up the butt skier who's so full of it their snot runs brown. I'd rather get lectured by Dwayner about sport climbing than deal with those twits.

crystal = definitely better terrain, but lower elevation. If snow quality isn't an issue (shouldn't be this weekend), that's where I'd go. sleeping in the parking lot is definitely an option, or you can find some pretty cheap hotels in the 'claw. I like Bachelor too, and it has some decent terrain, but it's mostly off the summit chair, which seems to be closed 50% of the time.

looking like a great weekend for the freshiez...

fruit.gifbigdrink.gif

I was up at Crystal yesterday and it was gooooood! Although the winds keep Campbell from running and Rex/GV were only running about 1/2 speed. I stayed to the tree'd runs for better visibility. I was able to run repeats on Bear Pits and Snorting Elk with freshies every run. Fun times to be had for those that can make it to ski soon. bigdrink.gif

Terrain wise Crystal has more to offer, there is some incredible backcountry with cliffs and cornices and other stuff to kill yourself on. Bachelor is has long runs with fun trees (wear your helmet!). If I were to choose for this weekend though I would choose Bachelor. Considering the pounding they are about to get I doubt the backcountry at Crystal will be open much, as opposed to Bachelor where you could hunt for powder all day long if you can handle trees.

What about snoqualmie?? the central summit area has so much variety with that one giant slope. you can hit the left, right or right down the center.

sure those other areas have more terrain but you can't beat the thrill of not knowing whether some boarder is going to knock you out at any second.

and with all that annoying powder packed down it should be greatgrin.gif

it did. There was good deep powder to be had in the morning, but man was it crowded. There always seems to be some nice filled-in drifts of snow from rock garden and on over by star. heather canyon did not open even after blasting (they let loose some whoppers up there) and of course cascade was closed due to weather, hence the large crowds. If it does not snow a lot tonight, tomorrow might not be so good. It was getting really thick and tiring towards the end of the day. Who knows? could turn out fine tomorrow too. probably less crowded (there was a snotty kid ski race today).

quite a bit of action at Meadows...from the latest snowpack analysis on NWAC:

"Explosive control released a 15 foot slab

midday Saturday at Mt Hood Meadows. Numerous natural releases

were scene(sic) on wind-loaded slopes, mainly southeast through

northeast facing slopes. Several close calls were also reported..."

"...Another close call occurred Friday when a group of

boarders broke a closure at Mt Hood Meadows then proceeded to

trigger a soft slab with one boarder being fully buried for

twenty minutes before a beacon recovery, again only minor

injuries...."

amazing that in-area boarder would be wearing a beacon, unless it was a preplanned poaching...

I was there again today against my better judgement and I concur wholeheartedly. rolleyes.gif "Powder" is awfully generous. The skiing wasn't bad, but the winds were horrendous at times and it's tough to keep the goggles clear when you're just above the freezing elevation. No lines though.