Oregon Adventures

texplorer

There is this story of two of the Ptarmigans (as in Ptarmigan Traverse) climbing some peak in the fog, they were well-known for arguing like cats and dogs about most things and apparently in this case they couldn't agree on who would belay and who would get to lead. So somehow both wind up leading at the same time, going up adjacent pinnacles, and wind up on top with the rope hanging in the air between the summits. I read this in a Harvey Manning article about the Ptarmigans, he said something to the effect that if the summits had been more than a ropelength apart this might have resulted in one of the more sad and confusing climbing accidents in PNW climbing history... hellno3d.gif

Just figured I'd share this enlightening example of one ascent of two routes simultaneously yelrotflmao.gif Perhaps the Ptarmigans also climbed the Black Spider?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dru said:

is that what its called?

i forgot about the lava tubes at skeleton cave too except i can never find the same one twice, and last time the sherriff busted us for intending to disturb bats... snaf.gifsnaf.gif

ITS NOT LIKE WE WERE INTENDING ON HOT BOXING THE WHOLE THING...

SHEESH SOME PEOPLE

yellaf.gif

I agree and disagree with the "One good mt." There is so much more to Oregon than you can find . Have you ever seen the North Cirque of Mt Theilsen?,Few have,... it is spectacular as any place I have been! The Turkey Monster? (CHOOOSSS, though cool ) . Mt Washington? The Wallowas? The Rabbit Ears? I think Oregon is better than 45 of the other states!

iain said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

iain said:

texplorer said:

We have one cool mountain

which one is that?

Staender Ridge, you doofus! Like, duh! rolleyes.gif

not Mount Tabor? confused.gif

majestic Gray Butte or whatever its called, everest of the smith rock group.

wayne1112 said:

I agree and disagree with the "One good mt." There is so much more to Oregon than you can find . Have you ever seen the North Cirque of Mt Theilsen?,Few have,... it is spectacular as any place I have been! The Turkey Monster? (CHOOOSSS, though cool ) . Mt Washington? The Wallowas? The Rabbit Ears? I think Oregon is better than 45 of the other states!

finally I hear some common sense! BTW even the sisters and jeff are much more entertaining than hood.