I pity you cascade skiers

mtn_mouse

OK, I am back from a week off, skiing OR and WA. I was able to ski Snoqualmie pass area--unfortunately mostly the downhill areas.. What was with the snow? I couldn't even get my poles to stick into the hard packed ice. Unbelievable. I hope these storms bring a little skiable snow. I then skied a couple of days in the Wallowas- up the wing ridge area. Got to be the best skiing consistently in the NW. Snow is not deep by Wallowa standards, but there is always a nice covering of powder.

Heading out tomorrow for 5 days of BC skiing at whitewater in the Selkirks. Enjoy your cascade cement! evils3d.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mtn-mouse, try getting into the backcountry. I have had good skiing the last two weeks. maybe you should go to colorado and run into some other idiots, that sounds more like your style.

This is the land of ski mountaineering, wimps who want super easy approaches and perfect conditions top to bottom will miss out on the real beauty of the cascades, incredible mountains and freedom from the hoards.

cman said:

This is the land of ski mountaineering, wimps who want super easy approaches and perfect conditions top to bottom will miss out on the real beauty of the cascades, incredible mountains and freedom from the hoards.

rolleyes.gif

You're overcompensating for lack of something, fersure.

freeclimb9 said:

cman said:

rolleyes.gif

You're overcompensating for lack of something, fersure.

Huh? Like what? He seems pretty right on to me.

Clarification: I am whining about snow conditions in the NW, especially what I found at the ski areas.

I mostly ski bc, and the Wallowas are all bc, no lift areas. I love it there, and am lucky to live that close. I have taken several trips in the past to the Olympics mainly, and am amazed that skis are not even needed at times. Even at Rainier this winter, we booted all the way into the tatoosh range. Probably different now from what I heard. Give me that NE Oregon powder. pitty.gif

You need to do more exploring if you think the BC here sucks. For one, the terrain is much better. Furthermore, if you can't ski concrete, you need to learn how to ski better. There is a reason it's easy for us to rip it up in the rockies. hahaha.gif

You booted up to the Tatoosh? what about skins, AT gear and such? If you are only walking no wonder you don't like it here. grin.gif

I have not skied in the olympics but you should try the north cascades. or just stick to the ski areas, last thing we need is more people out there.

HMMMM powder or crud? What a tough decision. Sounds to me like Micky Mouse was almost inviting us out there. I'd go in a heartbeat if I didn't have a few encumbrances like a job frown.gif a wife smileysex5.gif and kids fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

We were over in Idaho for some face shots a couple weeks ago. I love the Cascades but I'd be in the rockies if the pay were the same. cry.gif I guess I'll have to settle for climbing Rainier and Index. rockband.gif