What is the difference between hiking and climbing

allison

Stefan said:

catbirdseat said:

Sure seems like a lot of posts for such a boring subject. BTW, this all got started at Pub Club last night. My two cents worth is that it all overlaps. Two tier system:

Class 1-3 hiking (includes occasional use of hands)

Class 4-5 climbing

Three Tier system:

Class 1-2 hiking

Class 2-3 scrambling

Class 4-5 climbing

Under this system, ascending Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak under the traditional routes might be considered a hike.

Maybe climbing is different than hiking becuase climbing has grades whereas hiking does not........

I got news for you, the standard routes on volcanoes ARE hikes. But glaciated.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

I got news for you, the standard routes on volcanoes ARE hikes. But glaciated.

In my opinion they are hikes too. But the majority of other people would consider them climbs, and usually the majority rules.

I know it is semantics but then why is the DC route on Mt. Rainier in "Selected CLIMBS" by Jim Nelson.

I think one dif. between hiking and climbing is the physical effort that has to be made to go"up", and not fall down.In the Northeast[ yeah ,yeah, say what you want. Here of alot of dead westerners in our "hills" that underestemated them] , Mt.Washington in the "green " seasons is definetly a hike ,unless you are on a tech climb, or the HuntingtonsRavine Headwall trail. Come october/November, it is a full on climb, technical terain or not. All right ,now let's here the ragging on the easterner.

randyjgoat said:

I think one dif. between hiking and climbing is the physical effort that has to be made to go"up", and not fall down.In the Northeast[ yeah ,yeah, say what you want. Here of alot of dead westerners in our "hills" that underestemated them] , Mt.Washington in the "green " seasons is definetly a hike ,unless you are on a tech climb, or the HuntingtonsRavine Headwall trail. Come october/November, it is a full on climb, technical terain or not. All right ,now let's here the ragging on the easterner.

No ragging nescessary. You get the same thing no matter the size of the mountain, to a certain point. I think we all pretty much consider going up rainer in the summer via the D.C. a glaciated hike, but try pretty much any route on rainer in the winter and you at least better be prepared for shit to hit the fan.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

What? You're not supposed to put an H on the words! You dolt! oo-hay aught-tay ou-yay ig-pay atin-lay?!

Anadian-kay haccent-ay. Oo-yay ut-pay haitch-hay hon-ay ee-thay hends-ay hof-ay ee-thay urds-way ith-way oh-nay onsonant-kay hon-ay em-thay hand-ay han-ay hay-ay hon-ay ee-thay hend-ay hinstead-ay hof-ay ay-hay. Ottit-gay?