What is the difference between hiking and climbing

allison

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is that rating system of classes 1-5 to start with. Real climbing would start at class 4, i figure. Class three would be more scrambling so it would fall under something similiar to hiking. For instance, you can really hike/scramble to the top of many peaks, though lots of people will say "I climbed that mountain" when all they really did was scramble up a hill around trees and rocks.

I'm with Skisports. But, hiking is fucking boring. Climbing is usually a combination of being fun, scary, dangerous, slow, and miserable. Hiking is only slightly preferable to watching TV. I won't go on a hike for the sake of hiking. I'll hike to get somewhere to climb something, and occasionally I'll hike to get acclimated in CO.

but seriously, we've all seen the recent confusion in the media about lost hikers vs lost climbers. The SAR on Hood is focused on a lost snowshoer!....where does he fit in?

my off the cuff proposal last night at Pub Club (albeit after a few brews) is that hikers wear jeans and climbers wear goretex....as a very general distinction....but you get the point.

An alternative viewpoint was proposed that serious 'hikers' could very well be wearing high-tech fabrics, esp when they're experienced backcountry travellers, and that the difference between hikers and climbers needed to be diferentiated by the type of gear they carry or use.

I personally still like my quick and easy method for determining by clothing as I usually associate 'hikers' with the meddlesome tourons near the trailheads. But in a more specific and pure sense, the alternative viewpoint may have some merit, too.

Whatever.............................spray, spray, spray................. fruit.gif

Thinker said:

but seriously, we've all seen the recent confusion in the media about lost hikers vs lost climbers. The SAR on Hood is focused on a lost snowshoer!....where does he fit in?

my off the cuff proposal last night at Pub Club (albeit after a few brews) is that hikers wear jeans and climbers wear goretex....as a very general distinction....but you get the point.

An alternative viewpoint was proposed that serious 'hikers' could very well be wearing high-tech fabrics, esp when they're experienced backcountry travellers, and that the difference between hikers and climbers needed to be diferentiated by the type of gear they carry or use.

I personally still like my quick and easy method for determining by clothing as I usually associate 'hikers' with the meddlesome tourons near the trailheads. But in a more specific and pure sense, the alternative viewpoint may have some merit, too.

Whatever.............................spray, spray, spray................. fruit.gif

I hike in tech fabrics and climb in jeans all the time.

fleblebleb said:

Not a problem since you rarely if ever see anybody hiking in carhartts.

flebby

i always hike in the desert wearing jeans. seriously! carhartts tend to ward off prickly stuff and have less of a chance to be penetrated by a snake bite of sumpin..

plus that cotton duck material has the best friction in sandstone ow's!!!!!

AlpenTom said:

You can hike with a beer in your hand, but you can't climb with a beer in your hand (unless you've got that special talent).

thats why they make chalk bags!

instead of chalking up, take a slug from the PABST can. and send! send! send!

erik said:

AlpenTom said:

You can hike with a beer in your hand, but you can't climb with a beer in your hand (unless you've got that special talent).

thats why they make chalk bags!

instead of chalking up, take a slug from the PABST can. and send! send! send!

yelrotflmao.gifbigdrink.gif

Jake said:

For instance, you can really hike/scramble to the top of many peaks, though lots of people will say "I climbed that mountain" when all they really did was scramble up a hill around trees and rocks.

true dat. I scrambled to the top of 14,000' in the sierras...no climbing involved.