St. Helens Conditions

JayB

- 1" of windpack powder atop a carveable crust all the way to the top. Ride anywhere you want, as it'd take explosives to make the 'pack slide right now.

-Well formed boot-pack as of today.

-Snow coverage starts at the parking lot (patchy for a couple of hundred feet, then solid thereafter).

Get on it fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there on Saturday as part of a 10 man sausage brigage. We crashed in the parking lot Friday night, started moving at about 7:15 and arrived at the crater rim at about 11:30 or so. I had a red snowboard sideways on my pack, wearing black pants and a blue T-shirt on the way up. My buddy Scott and I hung out at the crater rim until about 1:00 or so, then headed down with the rest of the crew when they showed up.

Wasn't that an amazing day? I think that was one of my better days in the mountains - ever. The weather was perfect, the snow was firm enough to hike up in without too much pain but still plenty carveable enough to sink an edge in on the way down, and where else can you get the 6000 vertical foot, 4-mile run straight back down to the car with no objective hazards to worry about on the way down?

We also got to witness the dude on the orange plastic sled go for what may have been a historic first descent! fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

Was the sledder part of your group? Were you in that blue VW van? If so we were the guys right next to you in the green 4runner and tele gear--I was wearing the baseball cap. It was a fabulous day indeed. Beautiful conditions. My partner crapped out 3/4 up so we relaxed a bit before skiing down. The upper slopes had a gnarly crust I kept breaking through that would catch my ski and send me cartwheeling. The lower portions were spectacular and we had a blast.

I kept thinking that sledder was in for a big ride!

The Xtreem sledder wasn't part of our group, but he seemed like a nice enough guy, so I was glad that he didn't end up skipping down the mountain like a wet bar of soap.

Our sausage convoy parked across the lot from the blue Westfalia (green Blazer, red Ford truck w/canopy, Black Dodge truck w/canopy) and we came down the mountain on our boards en masse at about 1:00, just ahead of the aforementioned sledder.

JayB said:

The Xtreem sledder wasn't part of our group, but he seemed like a nice enough guy, so I was glad that he didn't end up skipping down the mountain like a wet bar of soap.

Xtreem sledding!! Sounds like a new sport to me. Has anyone ever heard of a tobogan descent of Hood or maybe even Rainier?? You think I'm joking don't you! cool.gif