answer me this re AT gear

allison

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what I am seeing in the above picture, if I am not mistaken, is a regular alpine ski boot doing AT duty.

If this is the case, I would think the going up part would really suck. Am I right or wrong?

I think in my imaginary perfect AT setup for an alpine skier, I have alpine skis and alpine bindings that just happen to release the heel for going up, and AT boots, which on the sturdy end of the spectrum, seem acceptable. Also can anyone compare and contrast the weight difference between, say, a typical AT ski, and a light alpine ski, like the aforementioned Rossi Bandit XX? Discuss.

snoboy said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Tex is in denial about the excellence of the FRESHIEZZZZ experience. fruit.gif

And what would you know about it my dear...? wink.giffruit.gif

Sorry to be confusing, that was me posting as Muffy during the Great Identity Swap Hoax of March 2003. fruit.gif

freeclimb9 shows Alpine Trekkers. They are not AT gear. You can often find them cheap used because people want to get rid of them and get real stuff.

why are you asking all this Allison. Are you buying skis or bindings or boots or all 3? And what do you forsee yourself doing with this gear?

fern said:

why are you asking all this Allison. Are you buying skis or bindings or boots or all 3? And what do you forsee yourself doing with this gear?

Fern,

I'm not sure yet. Probably once I get some legit snow skills under my belt, I will get an AT setup for moderate BC stuff and out of bounds lift-serviced stuff, but I don't want to have to significantly change the way I ski. One of the things I need to watch out for is getting into anything too floppy or noodly in terms of boots or skis, as even regular alpine skiing really hurts my bum ankle. I'm just getting a little bored at the ski hill, if you know what I am saying.

mtn_mouse said:

Why not learn to telemark? balance, art, grace, atheletic, what more can you ask for. Plus comfortable leather boots you can even hike it, and a simple cable to a basic binding.

I ask only for a boot that climbs ice, a "frictionless" pivot for touring, control on the manky snow with a heavy pack, releasability, step-in, and a history of the binding not breaking. rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, I telemark. tongue.gif

Some people use the Alpine Trekkers for sticking stupid hard descents, where they feel the need for regular alpine gear. Otherwise they are HEAVY!

You summed it up well...

I can put on my T2's and short skis, and tackle more difficult snow conditions, and also ski with a heavy pack, but am left with a lousy climbing boot. Crampons just don't work as well on a tele boot. Something about the duck bill........hmmm if they could ever fix that! confused.gif