Aid Climbing 101

sk

I have decided that I want to spend this spring learning to aid. And because My BELOVED John Long has not yet written "An Aid Climbing Guide For SK" I am looking for a good sorce of information that I can carry around with me. Texplorer is a bit Tall to fit in my pocket wink.gif I plan on hitting some of the guys arround here up for some lessons, but I will primarily be on my own. Any thoughts or ideas or help... or a lesson wink.gif would be appriciated grin.gif

will buy beer for aid climbing help bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifwink.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be in touch when I come up grin.gifbigdrink.gif

I think the only reason I feel like I can solo is because I am so familure with the climbs where I will be prcticing. And I will be on top rope with my solo device so I don't get any booboos wink.gif I just want to get my system down so it becomes second nature.

you can do a rec.climbing google search, check tradgirl.com and the Fish Products website to get more info. Also the Self Rescue book by David Fasulo is a good one to read. But it's easy to get information overload. There's lots of different ideas out there.

SK -

I never found a good book on aid climbing.

There are so many little trix and stuff, that the best is to have people show you.

If you wanna come to squampton, then I could show you some, but I'm not an expert. I bet fern would too. Now where are my aiders???

It's the best excuse to buy new gear!

Hey Muffy, have you checked out the Long/Middendorf book on aid climbing. I think it's the one Erik is sending you. It's a good place to start getting a basic understanding of the basic sequences. In my mind aid climbing is a repetitive process, and can be more of a head game about exposure and trust in the system than free climbing. Another really good way to get more efficient is to spend time jugging and cleaning after someone who is good. Offer to be a belay slave and jug up after Tex on something multipitch somewhere. Have fun!

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Just get a hammer and smack some of them pinions into a crack and you just climb up those nylon step-ladders they got, and you go right to the top. Nothin' to it. thumbs_up.gif

don't even need a hammer... scarface is A1 and the king-swing afterwards is rated fun++!!!