Gym vs. Sport: Compare and Contrast

pope

"In this case, mine are correct, because RUMR obviously doesn't know me nor my background and has no basis for his wise-ass commentary about my abilities."

Nor, do you know of a particular gym climbers ability outside...How do you know what they could climb in cracks or on runout faces or whatever? What if they were an inner city youth w/ no opportunity to get out? And now they have to listen to your drivel and spew about how "morally inferior" their activity is...Yeah, you are right, they should go make some $$ and deal crack and quit playing w/ that evil stuff... rolleyes.gif

Can you honestly say that your initial post wouldn't be considered elitist and inflammatory? Are you trying to say that??

And you seem really really "touched" by my commentary...perhaps i shoulda taken your "shot-gun" style slam as opposed to an israeli style pot shot at you...

I will now go back and edit my posts to remove a specific reference to your (non)sorry a$$...

Now, feel free to answer Cracked's question and we will then stop making assumptions...

Edited by RuMR

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dwayner, you didn't answer my question. Why are you so ready to preach and unwilling to back up your arguments? I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm am simply curious. Sure, people say that how good a climber you are doesn't matter, but it does. Most of us respect the experts in any given field more than the hacks. If you only refute people's assumtions about your abilities and refuse to prove them wrong, everybody will assume it's because you can't back up your words. So what are the climbs that you are most proud of?

Dwayner said:

"dr." Flash: "But RuMR, you forget that unlike your assumptions, Dwayner's are correct."

In this case, mine are correct, because RUMR obviously doesn't know me nor my background and has no basis for his wise-ass commentary about my abilities.

You characters are putting me to sleep. Some of you say, "it's just recreation, man!", but you sure get angry when someone questions it!

- Dwayner

Dwayner, Dwayner, Dwayner ... you avoid name-calling, but turn right around and belittle an aspect of climbing that many of us participate in and enjoy, and, by extension, you belittle those of us who enjoy it, whether by making remarks about our lack of intelligence, technical know-how, or, God forbid, our fashion sense. Do you imagine this to be a higher road than telling someone they're acting like they're 12 years old? And while you claim to and may indeed actually be taking none of this seriously (aside from your ideals, of course, which you seem, logically, to take quite seriously) and just having a fun time deriding the pastime we call sport climbing, you fail to realize that most of the slag piled back upon you, by DFA at least, is delivered with tongue firmly in cheek as well.

Peter_Puget said:

Dwayner -

Teach us about the moral/ethical/spiritual considerations/repercussions of using your tremendous intellect to consistently ridicule and demean others residing on a lower intellectual/spiritual/moral level?

Build us up don't tear us down!

PP

If these guys want to tussle, I'll throw in my own comments regarding what I might perceive as sloppy thinking. Ain't intended to be a put down. ("Dwayner...you're SO MEAN!!!")

Haven't run into anyone stupid around here yet.

You want to be built up? Drink a few of these:

bottleGo.jpg

bottleGo.jpg

bottleGo.jpg

- Dwayner

Peter_Puget said:

Dwayner -

Teach us about the moral/ethical/spiritual considerations/repercussions of using your tremendous intellect to consistently ridicule and demean others residing on a lower intellectual/spiritual/moral level?

Build us up don't tear us down!

PP

well...that about sums it up...I'm afraid poor dwayner's gone home for now, so you will have to wait 'til tomorrow for a new lesson in life...

Dwayner said:

Muffy....If you're suggesting I'm a bolt-clipping maniac, I'm not. But let's say that I am. Then it would be matter of whether being a hypocrite eliminates me from the debate. I say it wouldn't. That would be similar to saying that a chain-smoker has no right to tell others not to smoke. And I won't even try to figure out what "a dupicitius old fool" might be. You know little about me. You, like a lot of other people on this board (and elsewhere) have a hard time dealing with the fact that others might disagree with you and have a completely different perspective. Not everyone is going to like how you or I think or what we do. Get used to that fact. Starting in with the "you're 12", or "you're an old fool" is nothing more that school yard name-calling. If you wish to disagree, show me where you think I'm off track (which you seem to be trying to do), or ignore it. Rise to the occasion.

You feel sad for me????? SK....I have a great life, and I hope yours is the same.

"dr." Flash: "But RuMR, you forget that unlike your assumptions, Dwayner's are correct."

In this case, mine are correct, because RUMR obviously doesn't know me nor my background and has no basis for his wise-ass commentary about my abilities.

You characters are putting me to sleep. Some of you say, "it's just recreation, man!", but you sure get angry when someone questions it!

- Dwayner

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif I have a hard time dealing with the fact that some one disagrees with me???? that is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it???

I think you are off track because you have admited on this bbs to cliping bolts. There for I don't think you get to tell any one that they can't.

People with great lives don't drink beer for breakfast wink.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

And where is that evil bitch Pope? He's the scalawag who started this ballyhoo, and he's simply left it simmering all day, blissfully unaware of the holy havoc he's wrought.

The dweeb! He's probably out climbing or something! rolleyes.gif

THE BASTARD...HOW DARE HE!!

Dwayner and pope are in his backyard w/ the football...oh well, we can play kick the can or flashlight tag w/o 'em anyway, can't we??

Muffy said:

I think you are off track because you have admited on this bbs to cliping bolts. There for I don't think you get to tell any one that they can't.

He's just grumpy cuz he aint sleeping...he keeps having that recurring nightmare about clipping those gawdammed bolts...its haunting him, just haunting him...

And mommy won't let him stay w/ her at night, cuz he's all growed up now...a real big boy...even drinks his mickey's by hisself...

Aww shucks, that's sweet...

Edited by RuMR

Here's a paradox for ya:

Some say I have no right to dismiss clipping bolts if I myself have done so in the past (or even in the present). In other words, I should be a "bolt-virgin" before I can have a legitimate opinion.

Now, let's say I am a bolt-virgin. Then some will say that I shouldn't knock clipping because I haven't experienced it!!

Both are common fallacies.

P.S. Beer for breakfast....don't knock it until you've tried it.

Dwayner said:

Here's a paradox for ya:

Some say I have no right to dismiss clipping bolts if I myself have done so in the past (or even in the present). In other words, I should be a "bolt-virgin" before I can have a legitimate opinion.

Now, let's say I am a bolt-virgin. Then some will say that I shouldn't knock clipping because I haven't experienced it!!

Both are common fallacies.

P.S. Beer for breakfast....don't knock it until you've tried it.

In my opinion if you are currently clipping bolts at all, or use any kind of fixed pro as a current practice in your climbing you can not preach against it with any validity.

How ever, if you choose to quit, you then have the right to be as much of a self rightus ass whole as you want to be grin.gif

No one is saying that you can't have an opinion, just that you can't rip others about their opinion...

And you have to admit that pope's initial post was definitely sticking his tongue out, right? And so was your intitial post...so what you got back was the quintessential "middle finger"...

For what its worth, i hate the f'ing gyms but i don't have the time and flexibility to do anything else and i hate lifting weights (boring) or running...so i got to do something with limited time...then i read your posts, and i'm like "I could probably climb at this guy's level on sport or trad routes" and its cuz of the gym ...Is this making sense?

I agree with Rumer. I don't LOVE the gym. But I go and make the most of it because with my schedual and priorities that is what I have time for. it helps keep me strong and fit. helps me blow off steam that I probably wouldn't other wise and then I would just be a cranky mommy. Who wants that? Why must we talk down our noses to anyone??? will some one please re post what dru once posted about climbing as a religion grin.gif I love that cool.gif

Dwayner said:

S.K. Muffington III said:

"How ever, if you choose to quit, you then have the right to be as much of a self rightus ass whole as you want to be."

O.K. I quit. Sport-climbing is lame!!!

And i hereby dub thee: SELFRIGHTEOUS ASSHOLE-EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!

Sleep deep tonight, for tomorrow brings a whole new set of temptations...there's a new red and blue taped project to serenade you w/ its deadly siren songs...Resist, oh dwayner, resist! It is a fatal misstep to venture to the gym...

Dwayner said:

S.K. Muffington III said:

"How ever, if you choose to quit, you then have the right to be as much of a self rightus ass whole as you want to be."

O.K. I quit. Sport-climbing is lame!!!

so you are saying that you will never ever as long as you live use another peice of fixed pro?

cracked said:

Dwayner, you didn't answer my question. Why are you so ready to preach and unwilling to back up your arguments? I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm am simply curious. Sure, people say that how good a climber you are doesn't matter, but it does. Most of us respect the experts in any given field more than the hacks. If you only refute people's assumtions about your abilities and refuse to prove them wrong, everybody will assume it's because you can't back up your words. So what are the climbs that you are most proud of?

I'm not much into boasting, my son, but let's just say there's a good chance I've free-soloed pitches that your average sport rat couldn't on-sight with a top rope. There are some incredibly competent climbers who feel like bolts are a trashy intrusion on the mountain environment, as well as evidence of a cowardly approach to mountaineering. Maybe Pete Croft could be your role model.

And you have to admit that pope's initial post was definitely sticking his tongue out, right? And so was your intitial post...so what you got back was the quintessential "middle finger"...

Not at all, my son. I was simply comparing and contrasting sport and gym climbing. In conclusion, I found that they compare well and contrast poorly. When I stick out my tongue, you'll know it. tongue.gif

Peter Croft keeps his opinions to himself and wouldn't be caught dead spraying like you and dwayner did...

To paraphrase a politician (scary) "you, sir, are no peter croft"...

And, there are many well rounded climbers that will kick your ass in any domain, be it bolts, soloing, crax, etc.

So why the attitude? That is what everyone is responding too (at least me)...you think you're better than someone who clips bolts? Why?