Gym vs. Sport: Compare and Contrast

pope

Gym climbing is fun! The fact that it is peripherally related to other forms of climbing is just a bonus.

Sport climbing is fun! The fact that it is peripherally related to other forms of climbing is just a bonus.

Trad climbing is fun! .....

Climbing: the moral equivalent of golf.

(a fun (I'm told-golf that is), self-indulgent recreational activity, of no use to anyone, moderately to severely damaging to the environment depending on the area, whose advocates take very seriously, spend vast amounts of money on, etc....)

mushsmile.gif

oh, and snaf.gif I guess, eh...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And to address the "serious" topic, anyone read Games Climbers Play? Classic essay by Lito Tejada-Flores, circa '70s (recently reprinted in the book of the same name) that basically addresses the issue very well: i.e. various forms of climbing are designed to offer a "reasonable" amount of challenge - why ladders across crevasses, having a doctor at base camp and other expedition-style shit is ok in the Himalayas but not for a day at the crags, etc; why nothing other than chalk and a crashpad is the rule for bouldering, while tents, aid-gear, radios, etc. are de rigueur for alpine walls, blah blah.

"climbing: a sport/passtime/activity/lifestyle where you pick the hardest way up something and then artificially make it easier"

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_up.gifwazzup.gifwazzup.gifwave.gif

This guy said it best:

fruit.gif

• 1 year later...

ahh not much...i don't get to climb w/ him much since he's swimming so much now...says that's where the scholarship money is, and climbing is just a hobby...still wicked strong though...

and i did manage to drag him down to yosemite and thrash him in some cracks...the kid was all smiles about it though... cantfocus.gifyelrotflmao.gif