Gym vs. Sport: Compare and Contrast

pope

Dwayner said:

We do what we do because we like it and in fact think it's better. (Clean, trad-climbing, I believe, is morally superior to bolt-dependent sport-climbing) In the words of a classic bumper-sticker: "Sport climbing is neither." So go self-deprecate yourself (or on your own sleeping bag) if you like. You wanna talk ethics....start another discussion.

Here....have a beer. It's a Mickey's: bigdrink.gif

- Dwayner

Dwayner, how you can maintain such a fundamentalist moral high ground when it comes to climbing and then turn around and debase yourself with that foul malt "beverage" you're so fond of is quite beyond this Doctor. Befouling the temple of your body, you are!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RuMR said:

...there are no "morals or ethics" in an activity...

I think a person's moral and ethical beliefs come into play in everything that they do. Sure, the ethics of rock climbing aren't as critical to the world as women's rights might be, but who am I to say? The way in which a person goes about doing whatever it is that they choose to do defines them as an individual and gives them their character.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Dwayner said:

We do what we do because we like it and in fact think it's better. (Clean, trad-climbing, I believe, is morally superior to bolt-dependent sport-climbing) In the words of a classic bumper-sticker: "Sport climbing is neither." So go self-deprecate yourself (or on your own sleeping bag) if you like. You wanna talk ethics....start another discussion.

Here....have a beer. It's a Mickey's: bigdrink.gif

- Dwayner

Dwayner, how you can maintain such a fundamentalist moral high ground when it comes to climbing and then turn around and debase yourself with that foul malt "beverage" you're so fond of is quite beyond this Doctor. Befouling the temple of your body, you are!

It helps his big ol' pot belly stay in form...gotta have that to match his knickers and cap, eh?? Heaven forbid he considered a lighter beverage...

jkrueger said:

RuMR said:

...there are no "morals or ethics" in an activity...

I think a person's moral and ethical beliefs come into play in everything that they do. Sure, the ethics of rock climbing aren't as critical to the world as women's rights might be, but who am I to say? The way in which a person goes about doing whatever it is that they choose to do defines them as an individual and gives them their character.

Hmmm...disagree on that unless it is taken to extremes...ie. After a fine day hiking in the hills, or a fine day plugging gear, or a fine day at the pier w/ my kids, or a fine day clipping bolts, it is still, in the final analysis, a FINE DAY...

I mean, shit, the way dwayner spews, he sounds like he'd be up all night w/ a drenching body sweat and whipping himself if dared even look at one of those evil shiny bolts!!! I'm curious to see if he has a scarlet "B" emblazoned on his belly that he keeps hidden...

SHOOT, ITS JUST CLIMBING...get over it...

RUMR: "Dude...you crack me up...there is no "morals or ethics" in an activity like climbing...shit, grow up...its fucking recreational activity...this is like arguing snowboarding vs. skiing or angling vs. flyfishing...are you 12?"

Grow up? Your comments only demonstrate your lack of insight and your intellectual immaturity. There are no moral or ethical implications to climbing? No implications to environmental impact (garbage, bolts, etc.), death (for, example, is it moral for someone to do dangerous things when they have dependents relying up them), access (private vs. public property) etc. Come on, now, use your head.

No, I'm not 12, but I'm well schooled in philosophy in which obviously you are not. Perhaps we can agree on the notion that climbing is a frivilous activity, but that doesn't mean it is free of moral/ethical impications.

And a hell of a lot of naive assumptions about my abilities!

Here....take a sip and pass it to your buddy there.

bottleGo.jpg

Now, stop the bogus "you're 12!" nonsense and start contemplating your navel.

Edited by Dwayner

Sadly...i don't attend gyms...they interfere w/ my ability to sleep at night as i toss and turn over the moral quicksand that is life..

I'm a proud student of DFA's philosophy of life...ha hahahaha

In reality:

Vertical World...both, as much as i can, cuz I don't get out very often due to time constraints (constraint1=Drew, constraint2=Jonathon, my boys)

Dwayner.... just because you *THINK* something does not make it correct. Each person must find there own way. You are a dupicitius old fool. One of the basic truths is "one must live how one believes" it is so clear that you do not do this. I feel sad for you. this i sjust my point in that intelectal learning only takes you so far. Mastery comes when you can take what you have learned, what you believe and live by it flawlessly. People might take you more seriously if you DIDN"T ever clip another bolt again as long as you live.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Quote[ And Dwayner was all like... ]

"Morals...ethicks...genetic superiority...blah.. blahh...blahh."

And then Glacier is all like...

"Zzz...zzzz....xck! Wha? Did I hear something?? Nah.... (Rolls over, goes back to sleep and dreaming of Angels Crest, and Freebase, and Center El Murray, and...)"

I for one was quite relieved to find that the skills I picked up leading outside transfered almost perfectly into the gym, and I was able to climb there without taking any undue risk.

Seriously though - the two are virtually identical in physical terms. The only things that I stress to people contemplating their first leads outside are:

1) That they make sure that they know what to do when they make it to the anchor.

2. That they take a close look at the first few bolts and size up the grounder potential.

glacier said:

Quote[ And Dwayner was all like... ]

"Morals...ethicks...genetic superiority...blah.. blahh...blahh."

And then Glacier is all like...

"Zzz...zzzz....xck! Wha? Did I hear something?? Nah.... (Rolls over, goes back to sleep and dreaming of Angels Crest, and Freebase, and Center El Murray, and...)"

Dude...you rule...its all climbing now, isn't it?? And, since you imply you were awakened from a deep slumber, the "ethics" aren't getting you down are they??

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

RuMR said:

whatever dwayner...

Alot of assumptions of gym climber's abilities were made on your part too, there buddy...

But RuMR, you forget that unlike your assumptions, Dwayner's are correct.

My bad... rolleyes.gif

better run back and change my V0- slam to a V0+ correction... hahaha.gif

FEJAS: Here is the comment that started this whole thing

Ok, here's a question... How long had you been climbing before you started leading sport routes? I've only been climbing for about a month (3-4 days a week), but am improving quickly and my climbing partners tell me I'm ready. I know all the mechanics, safety, etc. I led a 5.9 today w/ no problems and feel confident about my abilities. But I get the feeling some people at the gym (Yes, it's the gym in MN for now... Gotta wait till the snow melts to get outside!) disapprove of me starting to lead so quickly? Am I making this up? Should I have more regular top rope experience before I start leading? Help!!

I agree with Jay B, who said

1) That they make sure that they know what to do when they make it to the anchor.

2. That they take a close look at the first few bolts and size up the grounder potential.

cracked said:

Okay, Dwayner, I, for one, will stop making assumptions about your abilities if you will tell me what climbing achievents you regard as your highest.

Sincerely,

(I'm) Cracked

That's my whole point, who knows about him...he just RIPS everybody who doesn't agree w/ him, and then exhibits angst when it gets pointed his direction...

Granted, I tried to portray him as a bit of a caricature...Perhaps i could dig up some old Tammi Knight lampoons??

Time for a yahoo search...

Muffy....If you're suggesting I'm a bolt-clipping maniac, I'm not. But let's say that I am. Then it would be matter of whether being a hypocrite eliminates me from the debate. I say it wouldn't. That would be similar to saying that a chain-smoker has no right to tell others not to smoke. And I won't even try to figure out what "a dupicitius old fool" might be. You know little about me. You, like a lot of other people on this board (and elsewhere) have a hard time dealing with the fact that others might disagree with you and have a completely different perspective. Not everyone is going to like how you or I think or what we do. Get used to that fact. Starting in with the "you're 12", or "you're an old fool" is nothing more that school yard name-calling. If you wish to disagree, show me where you think I'm off track (which you seem to be trying to do), or ignore it. Rise to the occasion.

You feel sad for me????? SK....I have a great life, and I hope yours is the same.

"dr." Flash: "But RuMR, you forget that unlike your assumptions, Dwayner's are correct."

In this case, mine are correct, because RUMR obviously doesn't know me nor my background and has no basis for his wise-ass commentary about my abilities.

You characters are putting me to sleep. Some of you say, "it's just recreation, man!", but you sure get angry when someone questions it!

- Dwayner