pope

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter_Puget said:

You're lucky politeness is the mark of a classy ropegun!

yelrotflmao.gifLOL I sound like Pat Ament! cantfocus.gif

PP

Yeah, this kid's special...He's been homeschooled and is really just a good kid...Not a mean streak anywhere...

Talkin' to him, you'd never know he's won nationals or placed in the top 5 every year since he was 12. Or competed internationally, or gone to Font and climbed V10 in a handful of tries or placed third in international speed comps or flashes .13's or is a top notch swimmer...

he's real softspoken and just gives it his all every time...

RuMR said:

Peter_Puget said:

Not sure but I'd like to meet a Sweet Tart.

Those are the ones that complicate the gym and sport climbing issues of communication and belaying your buddy...Real Challenges, they are!!!

but they look and taste good!

snaf.gif

COL._Von_Spanker said:

If your goal is to only sport climb than why bother learning to trad climb. My second ever lead, which was outside, was at my limit and I took whippers on it. No biggie. You certainly wouldn't want to learn this way climbing on gear.

Funny, I learned that way - But likewise, I wouldn't recommend it to most folks.

To actually take this thread seriously for a moment - Rock climbing was originally considered training for mountaineering, then it became its own sport. Bouldering was originally considered training for rock climbing, then it became its own sport. Even gym climbing - originally solely training - now there are plenty o' folks who have no need to touch real rock.

The flaw in yer arguments - Pope, Dwayner, DFA, etc. - is not so much some etherial 'ethical' argument, but the old, hackneyed Ford-versus-Chevy argument of, 'Well, they don't specialize in the same thing that I specialize in, so they are somehow devoid of some sort of moral fiber which I am emminently imbued with." Or more typically - "I'm not very good at/have little knowledge in a particular specialty of our sport outside of my own little balkanized realm." Fortunately some of our number are better at hiding it behind a veneer of humor and self-depreciation than others.

I ain't gonna do some 'Can't we all just get along?' shit here, but just point out the hypocrisy of it all - Try a 5.11 gear line without any face climbing skills. Try next season's sport project without some friction foot smearing or that critical finger lock/jam in that pocket. Try anything out of sequence.

And be 20 feet above a bomber nut, a 3/8 inch bolt, or an ankle breaker landing and don't shake.

Wake me up when something new is said.

glacier said:

COL._Von_Spanker said:

If your goal is to only sport climb than why bother learning to trad climb. My second ever lead, which was outside, was at my limit and I took whippers on it. No biggie. You certainly wouldn't want to learn this way climbing on gear.

Funny, I learned that way - But likewise, I wouldn't recommend it to most folks.

To actually take this thread seriously for a moment - Rock climbing was originally considered training for mountaineering, then it became its own sport. Bouldering was originally considered training for rock climbing, then it became its own sport. Even gym climbing - originally solely training - now there are plenty o' folks who have no need to touch real rock.

The flaw in yer arguments - Pope, Dwayner, DFA, etc. - is not so much some etherial 'ethical' argument, but the old, hackneyed Ford-versus-Chevy argument of, 'Well, they don't specialize in the same thing that I specialize in, so they are somehow devoid of some sort of moral fiber which I am emminently imbued with." Or more typically - "I'm not very good at/have little knowledge in a particular specialty of our sport outside of my own little balkanized realm." Fortunately some of our number are better at hiding it behind a veneer of humor and self-depreciation than others.

I ain't gonna do some 'Can't we all just get along?' shit here, but just point out the hypocrisy of it all - Try a 5.11 gear line without any face climbing skills. Try next season's sport project without some friction foot smearing or that critical finger lock/jam in that pocket. Try anything out of sequence.

And be 20 feet above a bomber nut, a 3/8 inch bolt, or an ankle breaker landing and don't shake.

Wake me up when something new is said.

Yeah, but what flavor sweet tart do you like?? This is the crux of the issue... hahaha.gif

pope said:

Over in Newbies, in a thread discussing how much experience one should have gained before sport leading,

and then I was like...

If you don't know how to place gear properly than you shouldn't be leading anything... even if it is only cliping bolts...

so mr. COl. VP the discution wasn't just about moving from the gym to the sport, especialy our discution... just becase you don't climb any thig before someone better sets up a route for you first, doesn't mean you have to change the subject of our convers...

moon.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I outy...

Fejas said:

pope said:

Over in Newbies, in a thread discussing how much experience one should have gained before sport leading,

and then I was like...

If you don't know how to place gear properly than you shouldn't be leading anything... even if it is only cliping bolts...

so mr. COl. VP the discution wasn't just about moving from the gym to the sport, especialy our discution... just becase you don't climb any thig before someone better sets up a route for you first, doesn't mean you have to change the subject of our convers...

moon.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I outy...

Yeah, but what flavor?? Lemon, strawberry, lime, grape, come on...pick sumpin'

Glacier man says:

"The flaw in yer arguments - Pope, Dwayner, DFA, etc. - is not so much some etherial 'ethical' argument, but the old, hackneyed Ford-versus-Chevy argument of, 'Well, they don't specialize in the same thing that I specialize in, so they are somehow devoid of some sort of moral fiber which I am emminently imbued with." Or more typically - "I'm not very good at/have little knowledge in a particular specialty of our sport outside of my own little balkanized realm." Fortunately some of our number are better at hiding it behind a veneer of humor and self-depreciation than others."

Dwayner and pope are not arguing nor are our comments "flawed". We are presenting our own opinions in a humorous fashion. This didn't start out as an ethical discussion. Part of our problem with this whole gym/ sport thing is that some of us don't particularly like our version of climbing being thrown in with the rest. It ain't all the same. We do what we do because we like it and in fact think it's better. (Clean, trad-climbing, I believe, is morally superior to bolt-dependent sport-climbing) In the words of a classic bumper-sticker: "Sport climbing is neither." So go self-deprecate yourself (or on your own sleeping bag) if you like. You wanna talk ethics....start another discussion.

Here....have a beer. It's a Mickey's: bigdrink.gif

- Dwayner

P.S. And to beat you to the punch..."Dwayner sucks...it's all good......clip and go!.....blah, blah, blah, blah!"

Attitude said:

I hate when I leave my belay device on the belay loop and it gets caught on the plastic while bouldering.cry.gif

What are you doing bouldering with your harness on? You're losing style points and street cred all over the place doing that! How do you expect to catch the eye of a Sweet Tart that way?

Dwayner said:

Glacier man says:

"The flaw in yer arguments - Pope, Dwayner, DFA, etc. - is not so much some etherial 'ethical' argument, but the old, hackneyed Ford-versus-Chevy argument of, 'Well, they don't specialize in the same thing that I specialize in, so they are somehow devoid of some sort of moral fiber which I am emminently imbued with." Or more typically - "I'm not very good at/have little knowledge in a particular specialty of our sport outside of my own little balkanized realm." Fortunately some of our number are better at hiding it behind a veneer of humor and self-depreciation than others."

Dwayner and pope are not arguing nor are our comments "flawed". We are presenting our own opinions in a humorous fashion. This didn't start out as an ethical discussion. Part of our problem with this whole gym/ sport thing is that some of us don't particularly like our version of climbing being thrown in with the rest. It ain't all the same. We do what we do because we like it and in fact think it's better. (Clean, trad-climbing, I believe, is morally superior to bolt-dependent sport-climbing) In the words of a classic bumper-sticker: "Sport climbing is neither." So go self-deprecate yourself (or on your own sleeping bag) if you like. You wanna talk ethics....start another discussion.

Here....have a beer. It's a Mickey's: bigdrink.gif

- Dwayner

P.S. And to beat you to the punch..."Dwayner sucks...it's all good......clip and go!.....blah, blah, blah, blah!"

Dude...you crack me up...there is no "morals or ethics" in an activity like climbing...shit, grow up...its fucking recreational activity...this is like arguing snowboarding vs. skiing or angling vs. flyfishing...are you 12?

Wait, prolly not 12...can't campus can you??

Why don't you worry about a war, or torture, or women's rights or sumpin' real...its a flicking piece of rock, for crissakes...

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

RuMR said:

Hey...someone said Ol dwayner and pope were laffy taffies...you might want to reconsider that statement!!!

they couldn't be sour apple though... maybe sour grape(s) wink.gif

HAHAHAHA...good pun...they truly have their sour grape faces on, don't they??

Remember pop rox?? THose ruled!!

RuMR said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

RuMR said:

Hey...someone said Ol dwayner and pope were laffy taffies...you might want to reconsider that statement!!!

they couldn't be sour apple though... maybe sour grape(s) wink.gif

HAHAHAHA...good pun...they truly have their sour grape faces on, don't they??

Remember pop rox?? THose ruled!!

you can get pop rox cookies now laugh.gif