Mounties on Si Saturday 03/01

Mountie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast said:

JoshK said:

That's one of my favorite things about overnighting w/o technical gear now...15lb packs

Pass on the secrets, dude. How do you get down to a 15lb overnight pack?

who doesnt have a 15lbs overnight technical climbing setup??

i've got two!

never will you catch this fat kid hikin big loads!! just plain dumb!

unless of course for chivilrous reasons

Disclaimer, this is my summer overnight gear, colder weather = more gear, but here is my best memory. I have actually all the weights in a spreadsheet at home since I am just that geeky. tongue.gif

pack: go light gust...11oz

pad: 3/4 ridgerest...9oz

sleeping bag...WM something-or-other-lite...16oz

bivy...integral designs endurance...10oz

tarp...integral designs siltarp 5x8...10oz

stove...snowpeak giga...3oz

pot...smallish titanium or alumium pot...4 or 5oz

To this basic gear I add an assortment of lightweight clothing, down coat, etc. depending on the conditions I am expecting. Minimizing weight in the 3 main areas of shlter, pack and sleeping back + cutting out totally unnesssary gear really gets you a long way. I was suspicous of super lightweight packs (basically just rucksacks) but with only 20lbs or less in them, it isn't a problem at all.

JoshK said:

Disclaimer, this is my summer overnight gear, colder weather = more gear, but here is my best memory. I have actually all the weights in a spreadsheet at home since I am just that geeky. tongue.gif

pack: go light gust...11oz

pad: 3/4 ridgerest...9oz

sleeping bag...WM something-or-other-lite...16oz

bivy...integral designs endurance...10oz

tarp...integral designs siltarp 5x8...10oz

stove...snowpeak giga...3oz

pot...smallish titanium or alumium pot...4 or 5oz

To this basic gear I add an assortment of lightweight clothing, down coat, etc. depending on the conditions I am expecting. Minimizing weight in the 3 main areas of shlter, pack and sleeping back + cutting out totally unnesssary gear really gets you a long way. I was suspicous of super lightweight packs (basically just rucksacks) but with only 20lbs or less in them, it isn't a problem at all.

pretty good josh, but overall pack weight includes rock gear and such too!!!!!

i have marmot driclim bag

tarp

1/2 a foamy

ti cup/pot

lil msr stove

fuel can

downy coat

balacava

gloves

princeton-tec lamp

20 neutrino biners

8 assorted slings

4 cams

6 stoppers

3 lockers

ti ice axe

alum poons

some sketchy ropes

this is for standard summer casecade route under .9

pretty good josh, but overall pack weight includes rock gear and such too!!!!!

Yeah, for the most part that's true, erik. I was just referring to a camping-only overnight pack and no technical gear at all. I figured that was what toast was asking about since I specified that in my original post. In any event, I go with the neutrinos and other technical lighties as well. It's amazing what a bit here and a bit there can save, eh? bigdrink.gif

I've got a Russian made titanium dutch oven I scored off Ted R., weighs about 12 ounces and doubles as a deadman or an offwidth bong on the technical bits.

it's come in handy plenty of times on Mount Si as a makeshift helmet.

Don't forget to wear your plastics!

Edited by Beck

catbirdseat said:

Regarding party size limits, this field trip exceeds the usual limits of 6 for rock climbs and 9 for glacier climbs. We try to mitigate this by going really early, like 6 am before most hikers show up. They are sent out in groups of fewer than 6 at five minute intervals.

Everett does the whole class at one time up Si? I thought other Mountie branches put on conditioners like climbs, limited to 12, usually less, and did other locations besides Si? confused.gif

Everett does the whole class at one time up Si? I thought other Mountie branches put on conditioners like climbs, limited to 12, usually less, and did other locations besides Si? confused.gif
Perhaps other branches do, but bear in mind the Everett class is 40 this year compared to 200 at Seattle. It is something to discuss.

This goes back aways, but I continue to not be able to understand the logic behind dumping the water out of your training pack at the top to avoid knee damage. Um... when you're really climbing/hiking/backpacking, you need to come down with all your actual gear, and you need to work up to that also, not just making it up. I agree that this might be a good idea to start off with because generally beginners knee support muscles (forgive me, no technical term) are in even worse shape than their thigh muscles, but as a general policy, I cannot agree with it. hellno3d.gif

if you are going to do a training hike with water, and unnecessary weight, why not do it up a hill, say granite, where there are folks stationed at a look out tower over the weekends. You could be a hero and bring them a 6'er of schmidt, some HCL.gif and maybe even some mushsmile.gif

meganerd said:

This goes back aways, but I continue to not be able to understand the logic behind dumping the water out of your training pack at the top to avoid knee damage.

When you have knees as old as mine, they only have so many descents left in them. It's not a matter of training them to handle the load down, it just they are plum worn out ! cry.gif