Mounties on Si Saturday 03/01

Mountie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayner said:

Just wondering...what kind of student would you take on Mt. Si....walking students? What do you do up there other than hike a wide trail and then scramble around to the summit? Just wondering?

- Dwayner bigdrink.gif

it could be like a conditioning hike and stuff. i have known people to train for future climbs, by hiking and stuff!

have fun kidz!

Dwayner said:

Just wondering...what kind of student would you take on Mt. Si....walking students? What do you do up there other than hike a wide trail and then scramble around to the summit? Just wondering?

- Dwayner bigdrink.gif

I was wondering the same thing. That place is a bloody hiway anyway but nice of Mountie to warn us. I was there at the crack of sunrise last friday and still saw people in the parking lot.

dryad said:

Minimum 30lbs if you're puny, max 50lbs, 25% of body weight if you're in between.

Sucks, I know. I'll be one of the dorks lugging my water-filled pack up that hill.

hahahaha

sounds like fun!?

whats the overall objective? like in the end what are you training for?

allison said:

catbirdseat said:

1/4 body weight

Dang, that seems like a lot! Is this for the Army or something?

Well, for an overnighter on snow (tent, stove, food, sleping bag, pads, climbing gear...) I know my pack weighs more than 40 lbs... more if I have my snowboard strapped on.

I took a friend and her beginner friend on a hike up to byrne lake this past summer. That wasn't the hike for a beginner. It was good training for me, however, as I got to jog up to the lake with my pack, drop it, jog back down and then carry her pack the rest of the way up. bigdrink.gif

erik said:

whats the overall objective? like in the end what are you training for?

Catbird has it right. It's a wakeup call for students in the Basic climbing course.

They won't go on any real climbs till June, but things like Shuksan and the local volcanos would be typical as well as one day, summer alpine stuff like SEWS, Kangaroo Temple, da Toof, Ingalls...

allison said:

I know it is necessary to carry 40# for some things, but in many cases it is easy to be under 30#, including overnight stuff and climbing gear. I just hate to see people carrying more than they need.

Yup, Allison is right. The basic climbing course will teach y'all some fun stuff. But be sure to read up on various ways to save weight and effort as you gain experience. Once you start to know the mountains better, you can better judge what can be left out for weight and speed, but only experience will teach you this.

That's one of my favorite things about overnighting w/o technical gear now...15lb packs HCL.gifbigdrink.gif