Search for hikers near Big Four

AlpinistAndrew

Seems to me it may be worthwhile carrying a radio or cell phone so friends or the sheriff can do a quick check with you prior to calling out a full-blown SAR operation. All it would take is a small bit of coordination with the people entrusted with your expected return time (i.e. frequency, cell number, etc.).

A similar (though much less epic) experience drove that point home to me personally. I'd have given almost anything to have had a cell phone with me so I could call friends and tell them I was safe at an unplanned bivy a couple of years ago. As it turned out, SAR was all geared up at the trailhead ready to come looking when we walked into their midst wondering what all the fuss was about.

In any case, glad you're both safe!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude said:

Necro called our SAR to rescue two climbers who feel they did not need rescue. Was this the right thing to do?

First, I did not call search and rescue to "resuce" two climbers, I called to report them overdue. Actions taken after that point by others were of their own making. Secondly, Mike and Matt did not need rescue, they came off the mountain completely under their own power. I will not respond to how they feel about it. But, to suggest that there are only two courses of action in this case, right and wrong , is to oversimplify the complexity of the situation, given a large number of serious factors to consider. Finally, I did the right thing, just ask me. If you think otherwise, lovely.

The actions that were taken were decided upon after careful contemplation, and were not made casually, or without a full recognition of their outcome. We knew full well that this would quickly turn into a big deal, complete with helicopters, searchers, and news coverage.

Ultimately, it worked out for the best for almost everyone involved. Mike and Matt had an awesome test of their skills and resiliency, did a sweet route in impecable style, fucked up the descent, paid a hefty price in human suffering for their mistakes, and came out of it with grins on their faces and empty stomachs. SAR got to do what it loves to do, which is to do the SAR thing. Pilots got to fly and the paper got its story, complete with ten inaccuracies in every sentence. Great job!!

For us, and I think I can speak for everyone involved that knew these two, or of these two, worried over them and for them and crossed our fingers, most importantly, we got our friends back safe.

The only loser was the TV. They didn't get any bodies and Mike got $150 out of them for two pictures and tens seconds of FAME, with Matt leading the crux, and crawling through their hole in the cornice, his face plastered with a shit-eating grin.

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! evils3d.gif

gapertimmy said:

what i want to know is when the made for tv after school special movie "TERROR ON BIG 4" is coming out, and who is going to have cameos?

yelrotflmao.gif

I'd like to be the norse looking uber-climber who pulls them out of icy graves at 6000' and drags them up the route, over the true summit and back down to the waiting Chinook helicopter.

Necronomicon said:

First, I did not call search and rescue to "resuce" two climbers, I called to report them overdue. Actions taken after that point by others were of their own making. Secondly, Mike and Matt did not need rescue, they came off the mountain completely under their own power. I will not respond to how they feel about it. But, to suggest that there are only two courses of action in this case, right and wrong , is to oversimplify the complexity of the situation, given a large number of serious factors to consider. Finally, I did the right thing, just ask me. If you think otherwise, lovely.

The actions that were taken were decided upon after careful contemplation, and were not made casually, or without a full recognition of their outcome. We knew full well that this would quickly turn into a big deal, complete with helicopters, searchers, and news coverage.

This is confusing. confused.gif

Necronomicon said:

Attitude said:

Necro called our SAR to rescue two climbers who feel they did not need rescue. Was this the right thing to do?

Ultimately, it worked out for the best for almost everyone involved. Mike and Matt had an awesome test of their skills and resiliency, did a sweet route in impecable style, fucked up the descent, paid a hefty price in human suffering for their mistakes, and came out of it with grins on their faces and empty stomachs. SAR got to do what it loves to do, which is to do the SAR thing. Pilots got to fly and the paper got its story, complete with ten inaccuracies in every sentence. Great job!!

For us, and I think I can speak for everyone involved that knew these two, or of these two, worried over them and for them and crossed our fingers, most importantly, we got our friends back safe.

The only loser was the TV. They didn't get any bodies and Mike got $150 out of them for two pictures and tens seconds of FAME, with Matt leading the crux, and crawling through their hole in the cornice, his face plastered with a shit-eating grin.

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! evils3d.gif

Hello capitalist!

The only loser is chestbeating, holier than thou climber that post picture, big one deal, you summit a Cascade peak.

King 5 News is doing their job with the best info available along with rating. If they make mistake so what, no profession is perfect.

Blah, lah I am big tough cimber and they call me hiker.

Thank you for allow Asian to post on American website.

Attitude said:

Necronomicon said:

This is confusing. confused.gif

Huh?? I'll clarify...I barely give a shit any more. Someone posted a poll that sought to catagorize my actions as right or wrong. Fuck that noise.

I'm glad my friends are okay. They were not lost , they did not need a rescue , they were not rescued . No one found them, they were met on their way down. They were late. We found this strange, so we let people know they were late, and SAR did their thing.

Any more questions? In the future, I'll can the confusing prose, and stick to more straightforward posting language, to limit confusion, which is confusing, and made you confusedly confused, confuser to confusee. I'm really sorry about that.

Huh?? I'll clarify...I barely give a shit any more. Someone posted a poll that sought to catagorize my actions as right or wrong. Fuck that noise.

I'm glad my friends are okay. They were not lost , they did not need a rescue , they were not rescued . No one found them, they were met on their way down. They were late. We found this strange, so we let people know they were late, and SAR did their thing.

Any more questions? In the future, I'll can the confusing prose, and stick to more straightforward posting language, to limit confusion, which is confusing, and made you confusedly confused, confuser to confusee. I'm really sorry about that.

Necro. You made the best decision you could at that time with the information you had. Why would anyone WANT to make a bad decision? In the opinion of others, hindsight will always be 20/20. I think you made a good decision. Remember, the opinions of others are coming AFTER the incident, not when the decision had to be made.

Edited by Stefan

I was in the exact position Necro was a couple of years ago. Two overdue climbers who did not show up to work the next day. I called the sherrif office to see if there car was still in the parking lot. The sherrif took over. They asked a couple of questions, such as route, when they left, when they were expected back, and it was done. If you call the sherrif to ask some questions they will almost alway initiate a rescue because that is the prudent thing to do. The faster they get there the more chance that they are not doing a body recovery. Thumbs up Necro. YOu did the correct thing by calling. And I am guessing that it was not you that initiated the rescue but the sherrif telling you that they were going. It is the climbers responsibility to tell someone when they will be back. If they are not back then make that call.

"better safe than sorry". lets say the boys were hanging off a single screw, both with broken pelvises, etc., slowly freezing to death and saying to themselves... "it's been 2 days now, why is no one looking for us?" not that anyone should call sar in on you if you are like 1 hr late, or unintentionally overnighting...cause epix build character...

of course if you take a CELLPHONE then your loved ones can just call you up and ask you if you are Ok or not yellaf.gifyellaf.gifrolleyes.gif

• 4 years later...