Search for hikers near Big Four

AlpinistAndrew

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry it took me so long to post today, guys. Wanted to have the latest information to give you. Here's the update from the Snohomish Co Sheriff's Dept as of 5:20pm... (Sorry about the all caps. I pasted it in from my news program)

AS OF 5PM, THE SEARCHERS HAVE NOT FOUND THE 2 OVERDUE HIKERS YET

THERE IS EXTREME AVALANCHE DANGER...CAUSING CONCERN BOTH FOR THE HIKERS AND THE RESCUERS

ICE TOOLS AND CRAMPONS (SP?) BEING USED BY THE SEARCHERS ON WALLS OF SHEER ICE AT THE 4500 LEVEL AS THEY CLIMB.

2 SETS OF TRACKS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF AN AVALANCHE AREA, LEADING THEM TO BELIEVE THE HIKERS MADE IT ACROSS THE AVALANCHE AREA SAFELY. THEY BELIEVE THAT THE TRACKS GO DOWNWARD (BUT CAN'T CROSS THE AREA TODAY, WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW).

CONCERNED THAT THE HIKERS ARE NOT PREPARED FOR A NIGHT IN THE EXTREME COLD.

SEARCHERS WILL START AGAIN IN THE MORNING AROUND 8AM.

SNOHO SEARCH AND RESCUE, GUARDIAN 2, SKAGIT CO, KING CO, TACOMA, AND OLYMPIC MOUNTAIN RESCUE ALL ASSISTING IN THIS OPERATION.

IDENTITIES OF THE OVERDUE HIKERS ARE NOT BEING RELEASED.

NEWSTIPS said:

my news program)

AS OF 5PM, THE SEARCHERS HAVE NOT FOUND THE 2 OVERDUE HIKERS YET.

By the way, the Snohomish County Sheriff's Department continues to refer to these 2 overdue folks as hikers. We have no way of knowing if they're using the right term unless someone who knows them can confirm whether they are indeed hikers, or whether they're really climbers.

trask said:

the only way we'd know who the hell you're talking about is if you tell us their names. duh

I wish I knew, but I don't. So we'll all just have to hope whoever they are, they know enough to make a shelter for themselves until they can climb out on their own or be located by search crews on Friday.

klenke said:

Okay, these search and rescuers are getting too commonplace. It's time we made a new "Search and Rescue" forum for them.

Out of curiosity (this is not for me to put on the air, I'm just wondering), do you think the search and rescues are too common because people who lack the knowledge and skill to know whether it's safe to go to a particular location go anyway or because those who are "left behind" are reporting their loved ones as "overdue" before there's just cause to do so?

Not trying to stir a debate, just not clear on which one is the case.

My comment was all tongue-in-cheek. When a certain topic comes up frequently on this site, those relevant posters desire to have a new forum made for it (which is one of the beauties of this site). The most recent forum addition that I can remember is the skiing one called "the *freshiezone*". It seems like there's a SAR-a-week on this site, so we might as well make a forum for it. smirk.gif

Because this site exists, we users of it are going to be informed more of the SARs than if we weren't users. The site is a conduit for the information and, like it or not, cannot be ignored when it is pasted on the front page of the bulletin board. Before this site existed, knowledge of a SAR was limited to those who knew of those lost and those incidences deemed worthy of putting on the news. Those watching the news found out. This site caters to climbers, and thus the climbing community can comment on it (as I have here) as such.

It seems to me I would rather not know of a SAR unless those lost are direct members or indirect members of this site's community (or friends of mine). Otherwise, it's just overload (well, not quite overload but mildly irritating to me anyway).

NEWSTIPS said:

klenke said:

Okay, these search and rescuers are getting too commonplace. It's time we made a new "Search and Rescue" forum for them.

Out of curiosity (this is not for me to put on the air, I'm just wondering), do you think the search and rescues are too common because people who lack the knowledge and skill to know whether it's safe to go to a particular location go anyway or because those who are "left behind" are reporting their loved ones as "overdue" before there's just cause to do so?

Not trying to stir a debate, just not clear on which one is the case.

it is actually a great question!!!

i am going to start a new topic!

check it out HERE!

Newstips-

I think you asked whether the high frequency of search and rescue incidents is due to poor judgment on the part of the climbers or the families of the climbers involved. I and others posted a response in the other thread: "Getting Lost & Found."

Mattp

mattp said:

Newstips-

I think you asked whether the high frequency of search and rescue incidents is due to poor judgment on the part of the climbers or the families of the climbers involved. I and others posted a response in the other thread: "Getting Lost & Found."

Mattp

Thanks. I read it. Good points...