Ski Anniversary Glacier??

Cpt.Caveman

If someone wants to ski into the Anniversary Glacier this weekend I was thinking about going. I'd like to snow camp and avoid the noisy hut. Anybody from Seattle area interested? I've been there before. For those that don't know it's a real short ski and nice area with 8-9k foot peaks in the area that can be climbed\skied to. I guess it all depends on the weather though.

Gapers reply by personal message. Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cavey,

If you're up on Matier and you see a bunch of people tracking up Marriot Basin, that'll be us! So if I see a speck on a ridge across the valley I'll be sure to wave. cool.gif I've been skiing mostly in the Selkirks this winter so it will be nice to ski some steeper runs without the huge avi risk. Have fun and play safe!

WEATHER: A few weak disturbances will move over the region over the next few days, with the greatest possibility of snow accumulation forecast for Thursday night and Friday. Total amounts are likely to be in the 5-10 cm range. Winds should remain light to moderate from the NW or W. Temperatures will remain stable at –5 to –10 C in the alpine, with freezing levels staying below 900 m.

SNOWPACK: Last week’s snowfall of 30-50 cm has settled, but moderate shears still persist within the storm snow and on a buried surface hoar layer now down 30-60 cm. Moderate to hard shears are also still being reported on a decomposing crust down 50-60 cm. Windslabs that formed late last week at treeline and alpine have improved with the cooler temps, but still remain suspect to triggering on some slopes.

AVALANCHES: A few natural avalanches up to size 2.5 were reported as recently as Monday.

FORECAST OF AVALANCHE DANGER UP TO FRIDAY EVENING (FEB 28)

ALPINE - MODERATE

TREELINE - MODERATE

BELOW TREELINE - LOW

TRAVEL ADVISORY: Last week’s storm snow has bonded well enough to remain stable for the time being. Keep alert for changing conditions such as sharp increases in temperature, and/or higher than expected snowfall amounts, as this could tip the balance to overcome the strength of these weak layers.

Iain- I have skied the Anniversary Glacier a dozen times and I've never been worried about falling in a crevasse. There have sometimes been a few slots showing, and the ice bulge at the snout of the glacier just about aways shows, but I've never seen anyone use a rope on it or heard of anybody having any problems. I've been there in December in a year that had a good early season snowpack, and as late as the end of May. It is a very pleasant run, about 2500 feet high. There are dozens of good ski runs in the Cerise Creek drainage, and just about all the other creeks off the high portion of that Duffy Lake road also offer good skiing.