Pub Club 2/25

AlpineK

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TR:

It was a good turnout, pictures to follow, BUT

Yes, it is SMOKEY... I had to shower and hang my clothes outside as soon as I got home...

AND: The set up is not conducive to a group discussion, as the table set up is in one long table with booths on one side and chairs on the other. SO, either you have to yell to the other end, or go and chat, ending up in little groups. Not the ideal. (and makes going to the bathroom hard, must part the seas of not only people, but tables...) I get the idea that PC is a place to chat and hang with our climbing friends, and this set up did not make that happen...

SO, although we had good turnout, I don't think I will attend one at AL's again... sorry... I give it two thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Hmm. Icegirl was having a good time at Pub Club, or at least it looked that way. tongue.gif

I would say that a lot of bars we've been to have long tables. I don't see that as a real issue. There was some smoke at the bar, but you know they do make washing machines. Also there's nothing wrong with taking regular showers, or washing your cloths.

Pub Club was fun. Matt P tried to help Col Von Sp out by hiding an active avy tranceiver near a group of ladies and giving the Col another tranceiver. The Col didn't play along to well though. hahaha.gif

I had an enjoyable evening putting faces to names and swapping war stories with Wayne and emhemic. I was very flattered to be recogonized as 'the guy with the huge sausage' until I realized Allison was referring to Mattp's photo of me from a climbing trip. HCL.gif I am looking forward to it next week, although let's choose someplace smoke free. Your lungs will thank you.

And everyone seemed well behaved. I don't think the staff got the least bit miffed at us last night, at least not by the time I left.

One of the better conversations I had last night was about road maintenance and the logistics of building an outhouse at the trailhead to a local climbing area. Riveting....seriously!

mattp said:

King5News was there and she says she's going to run a new series, tales from pubclub, sunday evenings at 7:00. Those of you who didn't show are not going to be featured in any of the first ten episodes.

news.jpg

King5News

someone is using my name in vain... this is NOT me. I had to rescue my kid from the grasps of her grandparents. I didn't make it. Next week though I'll be there with bells on. wave.gif

Ok, so I was a poor sport with the transciever game; I try to avoid voluntarily subjecting myself to public ridicule when I am intoxicated. I usually manage to embarass myself enough as it is.

Despite the smoke and according to icegirl, the bad layout, I think it was a smashing success. Though my gague of a good night of drinking may be directly proportional to how many pitchers I have had. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

icegirl said:

TR:

It was a good turnout, pictures to follow, BUT

Yes, it is SMOKEY... I had to shower and hang my clothes outside as soon as I got home...

<snip>

SO, although we had good turnout, I don't think I will attend one at AL's again... sorry... I give it two thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

That's Al's. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

There is something I don't get about the smoke vs. no-smoke thing we've got going on here. Thing is, I've never really seen anybody smoke cigarettes at pub club,except to tease Allison because she is trying to quit and some of the rest of us because we get all uncomfortable boxing_smiley.gif Or maybe it was just the smoke blinding me, so I couldn't see people smoking?

Anyway, so we have a crowd of people that dislike the smoke, and a few folks that for some reason insist on smoky places, or maybe have fun loudmouthing the no-smoke weenies, but we don't even really have any people that want to go to smoky places to smoke? What's up with that? Are there really no smoke-free pubs that are grungy enough for this crowd?

Whatever. I didn't show last night although I wanted to, because last time we went somewhere smoky I was downright uncomfortable and my eyes were still bloodshot next morning. I have a hard enough time with staring at a computer screen a few inches away from my face all day without making it extra sporting like that. So I'm bummed to have missed out last night but I guess I'll just have to watch out for the no-smoke pub clubs and show up then.

fleblebleb said:

There is something I don't get ... a few folks...have fun loudmouthing the no-smoke weenies... but we don't even really have any people that want to go to smoky places to smoke? What's up with that?

Fleb-what board have you been hanging out on? Half of all cc.com postings do nothing but stir up animosity for someone's self-amusement so why should it be any different when we are talking about pubclub? The weekly argument is obviously ridiculous and serves no purpose but to allow some folks to think they are asserting their selves. On the smoke issue, though, I'd say the smoke-hating weenies are just as guilty of this as are those that don't want to go to fern bars or insist on a venue in their own neighborhood.

I was informed last night a pubclub (chestbeat!!! I was there. I was there moon.gif) that, for the record, noone who goes to pubclub smokes.

The reason as to why non-smoking places are loathed by many has been oft stated. Those places usually suck as far as being real bars in terms of criteria other than CO ppm and freedom to suck tar into your lungs. Is perhaps this belief born primarily from our forays to the Blue Star and Pig and Whistle (those places blow!)? Or are non-smoking bars uniformly sucky? I don't really go to bars excepting Pub Club so I don't really know.

I'm cool with trying out a new non-smoking place. I really don't like having to wash my clothes! cantfocus.gif

trask said:

Why not call a spade a spade. The reason non-smoking bars suck is because the people that frequent them are fucking pussies and losers and cry baby wankers, and there's no hot biker chicks there.

sadly this is ture... it is hard to find a fun non smoking bar....even in a town where you can't smoke in ANY of the bars.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

trask said:

Why not call a spade a spade. The reason non-smoking bars suck is because the people that frequent them are fucking pussies and losers and cry baby wankers, and there's no hot biker chicks there.

sadly this is ture... it is hard to find a fun non smoking bar....even in a town where you can't smoke in ANY of the bars.

the biker Betty's dig it when I throw a half pitcher of beer on their tank tops. They squeal and grin and show their tits. hahaha.gif

chucK said:

The reason as to why non-smoking places are loathed by many has been oft stated. Those places usually suck as far as being real bars in terms of criteria other than CO ppm and freedom to suck tar into your lungs. Is perhaps this belief born primarily from our forays to the Blue Star and Pig and Whistle (those places blow!)? Or are non-smoking bars uniformly sucky? I don't really go to bars excepting Pub Club so I don't really know.

I'm cool with trying out a new non-smoking place. I really don't like having to wash my clothes! cantfocus.gif

I think the basic debate is over those that put a non smoking environment first on their list of criteria, and those who feel a nonsmoking bar is a plus but low on their criteria.

I think good atmosphere, reasonable drink/food prices, and decent service are much more important than a nonsmoking environment. In fact I think these criteria trump the no smoke bar.

Look at the Blue Star. Expensive food and beer, sterile atmosphere, and shitty uptight service.

My general feeling is that all nonsmoking bars have these problems.

I think if you smoke haters want to sell the rest of us on a nonsmoking bar then find a place that meet the three criteria above and then emphasize those points when your trying to sell it.

That Cajun place in Redmond wasn't bad. It was smoke-free, the beer and food was good, the waitress was flirtatious, there was a patio in the back where the smokers could lurk, there was a 7-11 next door where those of us with more refined tastes could purchase some party-starters and snacks. There's got to be lots of places like that in Seattle, Tacoma's got quite a few: middle ground between the smoke-filled, sticky-floored sludge pits and the so-called fern bars.

As I mentioned once before.....this should be cause for an expedition. Get your buddies and go on a pub crawl between now and next week. Have a drink at a variety of places and rate them on various criteria.

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif