Who went skiing today? Conditions?

mattp

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to stevens yesterday (Friday) and it snowed the whole day with little visibility, but the snow was pretty good on top of seventh, but a little wet down at the bottom

went to alpental today (Saturday) and got freshiez off of chair 2, but once again the visibilty was real poor, and the snow was great up top, but slushy down below. Let loose quite a bit of loose snow on a traverse up top near denny and top of chair 2. Tomorrow should be awesome for anyone going out skiing, or doing the rando race. Supposed to be sunny according to NOAA.

i had the pleasure of jon and gaper chase coming down from seattle this weekend to ride the freshiez with me.

coming of the epic wednesday, it was hard to match the fine turns that were made, but it was great to get out with those wankers and make some turns.

friday the snow was ok, but the visibility ate nuts. yesterday was perfect, but a tad too crowded for my likes.

all in all, a good time was had by all, today brought another blue bird, but unfortunately not any new snow to go along with it.

Second hand but my roommates went up to do some back country turns across from Stevens yesterday. The scary layer was about 3.5 feet down, but they thought it was good to go. They had about 18 inches of fresh and had a blast. Went back today for more. Sorry I didn't see this last night Matt.

We were up on St. Helens on Sunday. It started out as a beautiful day, but the snow conditions were mediocre. We turned around at about 6500'. We had hoped to skin most of the way to the top but had heavy wind and ice and were at a serioud disadvantage without snowshoes. We got in some nice turns in the gullies on the way out.

Went to Paradise on sunday and just yo-yo'd up and down some slopes. Saw a sweet slope that looked mighty tasty, saw some people cut some nice turns down it, and thought about doing it. Then I looked up at a nearby slope with nearly identical aspect, which had recently popped off a slab with about a 2-3' scarp at the top (I'd guess maybe a day or two old, and the aspect was right to be a wind slab). Decided I might find a different slope for turns since it was pretty difficult to predict the wind loading with the 180° switch in wind direction. Otherwise, bright, sunny and a hell of a lot of fun. fruit.giffruit.gif

Crystal yesterday. Didn't get into High Campbell or the BC, first day back on sticks since I got hurt at work, hadda take it a little easy.

Snow conditions were good, the best we've seen all year. Some ice on the groomers and high winds in places, but Snorting Elk Bowl and some of the steeps on the front side were in good shape.

Coverage is still not perfect, we both got a few shallow base gouges. Still, though, it was beautiful weather and nice fluffy pow off the piste.

Headed up to top of Palmer twice this weekend. Poor conditions in a whiteout on Saturday and Sunday windy down low but beach bum weather higher up! Got to meet Mt. High and Pete and I got in a good sufferfest Saturday in chilling winds. You gotta love skiing in a whiteout when you feel like you are moving, but you really aren't and all of a sudden you fall over for no reason even though you have been standing still for the last 20 seconds? You all know what I mean! Pete_A dug some test pits Saturday evening and we couldn't even separate an area before the slab released! Saw some natural avis up near Devil's Kitchen on the S. Side as well. Should settle soon with this weather I assume.