How big is your ... Dividend?

obsydian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like that too sometimes Trask. I'm not trying to save the world. I just don't like it when our economy gets fucked up and we go after some two time, rinky dink dictator instead of the friends of the powers that be who actually caused the economic collaspe thru their greed. And poor people will fight and die in the war and middle class people will finance it, and the economy will still suck and the rich will keep getting richer....

Billygoat said:

And poor people will fight and die in the war and middle class people will finance it, and the economy will still suck and the rich will keep getting richer....

You are delusional. Do you think that only poor people inhabit our military? (not true) Who pays the MAJORITY of taxes? ("rich" people) If the government would get out of economic mismanagement, the free market would prevail and we would all be getting richer.

To turn this thread back toward the topic....

REI was started by climbers like you. Now it is the big Evil Empire. What happened. Who is at fault? Did conservative businessmen take over the coop and impose their will, or were the liberal granola folks lured to the dark side by the money and power?

Discuss. hahaha.gif

Attitude said:

To turn this thread back toward the topic....

REI was started by climbers like you. Now it is the big Evil Empire. What happened. Who is at fault? Did conservative businessmen take over the coop and impose their will, or were the liberal granola folks lured to the dark side by the money and power?

Discuss. hahaha.gif

We've beaten this to death many times. REI went mainstream, that is all. This is seen as a deviation from a climber-focus since the climbing subculture is decidedly not mainstream. REI has turned into Target, but, as others have said, REI was always a general mountaineering supplier. And they still are. However, they have surpassed that and shunted their climbing roots into the corner in lieu of Chukar Cherries and organic cotton walking shorts. It used to be (according to Jim Whittaker in his book) that the Board was made up of climbers; that changed somewhere down the line about the time Jim jumped ship.

It is what it is, but I choose not to support it.

I still haven't gotten my divident yet mad.gif

I tend to shop at whichever store I feel like going to at the time. If REI has a better price on something or is closer to me, then I'll go there. If I don't feel like dealing with crowds of shoppers or want to talk to someone who actually knows something about climbing, the I go to the smaller shops.

I don't base my decision on whether I feel like supporting big bad corporate America or the poor little shop keeper trying to make an honest living. I just go whereever is more convenient for ME.

Lambone said:

I haven't gotten mine yet, whats up with that?

I haven't gotten mine in the mail either, but I did find out how much I got on REI's website. As far as I can tell, there's no place to just check your dividend, but if you start to purchase something online, you can apply your dividend toward it. That way you can see how much you get, then quit the order before you submit it.