EMP?!?!?!

Peter_Puget

EMP Link

Excerpt:

Metaphors of blackness link it to residues: of ash, soot, coal dust, and burnt cork, thence to the collier, smith, and engineer, to mummery and minstrelsy, finally to travesty, inversion, and social chastening, on the one hand, and to conversions of energy, physical, social, political, on the other. In the blues disc, as cultural residue, as human trace, as musical contest or struggle, these metaphors converge. At once token, sign, text, miniature and windup toy, the disc encodes and fetishizes an human action — one thinks of Tiger Woods's golf stroke, recently captured as a computer file by outfitting him with a sensor-embedded electronic drysuit from which the stroke can be digitally read, capable of endless repetition, not "preserved for posterity" but embodied as the end and original of all possible golf strokes, at once consuming and resurrecting the game.

Like Nepalese religious shrines tendered on cow dung, the blues disc is an "opportunity for devotion." In the three economies in which it occurs, of the market, of society, and of the self, a disc collection such as James McKune’s or Harry Smith’s becomes a kind of counter-capital, a harvest of illth, like Dickens's dustman converting what is dispersed, discarded, ruined, and despised to what is recovered, concentrated, and renewed, rendering it at once rare and precious, scandalous and subversive. In the vertical archeology of the social body, it is an edifice of the repressed, making one’s own despised or ruined condition available for contemplation and turning it, by virtue of our irrepressible sociality, into a source of cultural power. "Whatever we worship we make sacred." (Patanjali).

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KEXP rocks though!

for those with a fast connection

Especially the streaming archive thingy. You can listen to their broadcast at any time in the last two weeks. You don't like what they're playing now? Just listen to the show 3 days or 3 hours ago! rockband.gif

Another note: I wonder why they didn't use call letters KEMP? It doesn't appeared to be taken. Must be the Shawn factor yellaf.gif

I hear ya SC, but you can't go home again. KCMU sucked before it left campus. That clock's not gonna turn back.

Your need for purity may be causing you to miss out on a pretty good thing. Being able to choose which show to listen to in a two-week window is PF sweet.

Happiness = reality - expectations.

I like KEXP. After living in a city with community radio run by a bunch of old, blue-grass "afficionados" and bland jam-band fans, I'm overjoyed to be in a town where the non-commercial radio station doesn't puke out endless hippy-shit. But then again, I'm into whiney indie rock.